M/V Spree Gulf Diving Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawkeye Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I received this email concerning the Spree yesterday

Many hands make light work, and all hands are needed on deck this weekend or whenever you can spare a few hours the next two weeks.

If you haven't already heard, the M/V Spree burned this past Tuesday. Only the bunk room was a total loss, but the smoke damage is everywhere. Last time this happened (in 1992) it was worse, but because so many volunteers showed up to help, they were able to turn the boat around and get it back in service in no time.

Right now they are doing a "pack out" - where everything comes off the boat and goes through a triage program. Things that can be cleaned are wiped down, packed and labeled, and loaded in a trailer. Lots of other stuff goes in a dumpster. Some of the totaled panels and pieces of wood are carefully labeled and kept as patterns. (Those with carpentry skills will be much in demand in about a week!) Just having people who can stand in a line and pass things hand to hand, fire brigade style, is an enormous help.

So, if you've ever worked the boat, dived the boat, or just would like to help fellow divers who have done a lot to put the Texas Flowers Gardens on the diving world map, please come and lend a hand this weekend or anytime in the coming couple of weeks. For maps to the boat or phone numbers, go to www.gulf-diving.com. If you're coming during the week, you'll want to check what hours the crews are working. By the way, Freeport is a little over an hour south of the Astrodome, straight down 288.

Wear really grubby clothes, and maybe bring a change of clothes for before you get back in your car. There's plenty of jobs for every skill level. Plenty of big toys to play with, too. Let me tell you from personal experience, power washers are blast. You'll find lots of good company getting sooty with you. If you know someone who's not too prissy to get dirty, bring them too. We hope to see you there.

Sharon & Charles Kerr

OUCH,,,,, and I am schd. to go the first of March on the Spree! Wish I lived closer would sure lend a hand.

Where was the boat at the time of the fire??
What was the cause of the fire??
Is the fire under Coast Guard review??
????????????
???????
????
??

I hadn't heard about the fire. What happened?

I assume the boat was docked in Freeport, as no cruises are scheduled in January, and she's in Freeport now as opposed to some other port. But it would be nice to get the details.

I looked on all the Houston and Gulf Coast area newspaper websites I could access and I couldn't find anything about it. Anyone else have any other ideas?

"Small" shipboard fires like this aren't uncommon in commercial vessels, hence its absence from media reporting. I doubt it was even reported to anyone but the fire department and the coast guard.

Try emailing direct:
info@gulf-diving.com

I just called the number on the web site and left a message, ask them to confirm story and let me know about any cancelations.

Still no return call from Gulf-Diving about the M/V Spree. Anyone else hear news yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom