M/V Black Manta, any opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drewdude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thinking about doing the Similians this Feb. Black Manta (4 day trip) looked pretty good. Anyone have any experience with them (good, bad, indifferent)? In addition, when I get back into Phuket, I was considering doing the Phi Phi island overnight from Phuket. Anyone done it?

Thanks

I work on the ship sometimes when it is based out of Singapore and I've only been on two other Phuket boats (including the White Manta) so I'm pretty biased but... I love the ship. It's very stable in the water, large enough to find quiet areas if you want, great attentive boat crew, very good full-time instructors / guides they use in Thailand, wonderful food, all of course just my humble opinion.

I guess the best thing I can say about it is that when I go to Phuket on holiday, I go on the Black Manta. That's something like a football player being given some rest days and then he just goes to watch his own team practice. He must love the team!

well, I've been on a couple of LOBs and so far all of them have been great with some minor kinks thrown into the works here and there, but nothing I couldn't live with... My first experience with the Black Manta was only about a fortnight ago and I have to say, she's sweet... nothing to complain about. Big, Comfortable, Stable and the food's great (thai). Lots of room to gear up, even with most of the divers in twins. Only gripe, not enough time to watch all the DVDs they've got with all the diving that's being done.

Agree with these guys - very nice boat. Just please note there are only a couple of trips in February with places available (1 - 5 or 12 - 16).

The Phi Phi Overnight has always been a favorite trip of mine. You have 7 dives with a good variety of sites and a night on Phi Phi.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get it planned within the next week or so. Awaiting clearance from the tower (wife) and waiting for my brother to make up his mind if he wants to join me or not.

I have not been on the Black Manta, but I have been on the White Manta. It was great, would highly recommend it, and the owners listened to divers when the built the Black Manta so I assume it is Nicer.

As for Phi Phi Special. I definitely think that trip is worth doing, I did it a total of 5 times in the 6 years I lived in Asia. I acutally found the diving very good particularly the King Cruiser wreck, and Anemone reef.

Mike

Thanks for the info everyone. I am booked to go with my brother in Feb!!!! Got a new question for anyone with some experience. Since this is my first liveabroad, what should I bring? What should I leave home.

On the Black Manta, t-shirts and shorts or bathing suits are the order of the day. Towels are provided. If I'm on board for 5 days, I'll wear flip flops to the boat and have one t-shirt & pair of u/w per day, 2 bathing suits and two shorts. I'll have suntan lotion, my own liquid soap/shampoo (although the boat provides another brand), sun glasses, a non-diving related book, my log books and dive cert. They have common medicine on board like sudafed and dramamine, if you need it. Bring some wine or liquor if you want. They sell beer, soft drinks and (sometimes) wine on board but you can bring some if you want (I would not bring beer or soda). They have plenty to eat but many people seem to like to also take on snacks for munching between meals (although there is always fruit, toast and other food provided). Don't forget camera gear and rechargable batteries. There are adapters on board but you might want to bring your own if you want to make sure you have one. They have a tendancy to disappear. The zillions of outlets on board are the 3-pin UK type / 240 volt. They also rent any dive gear you will likely need.

I hope that helps.

Zippsy thanks for the info!! I always tend to overpack, this will help.

As your older and wiser brother, drewdude (where you got that name I don't know), I will warn you from talking down to your elders, specifically, me. Write all that down for me, will you.

NOW for my own piece. Anyone rent U/W photography equipment, specifically, strobes?? I cant seem to find much by way of the internet. I know there are shops galore there (and purchase a few things I have) but I would like not to carry stuff there that I dont really have to. Thanks, See you all soon (he did book the Black Manta by the way). Keep a cold one on ice for me.

Oh, you do pack way too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom