Lynx Boat Unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t find much information on the boat unit for the Lynx. Is it shipping yet, what will it look like, will it attach to a PC for texting, and what will it cost?

Does/will it have more power on the transducer so the range is longer than 100 meters?

I can’t find much information on the boat unit for the Lynx. Is it shipping yet, what will it look like, will it attach to a PC for texting, and what will it cost?

Does/will it have more power on the transducer so the range is longer than 100 meters?

Hi Akimbo,

Currently we are prioritizing the L1 location transmitter, which allows you to locate the boat but not receive messages from it. The boat messaging kit is planned further down the line. The messaging kit uses a smartphone or iPad via bluetooth to a surface box to send messages.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Thanks Eric

I am guessing that the L1 location transmitter will be at the end of a cable. If so, how will it be powered and will it be the same power level as the diver transmitters? It would be great if it had a higher power level so divers could receive the signal from a longer distance even if they were out of range for the boat to receive their signal.

Any idea of cost of delivery target date?

Thanks Eric

I am guessing that the L1 location transmitter will be at the end of a cable. If so, how will it be powered and will it be the same power level as the diver transmitters? It would be great if it had a higher power level so divers could receive the signal from a longer distance even if they were out of range for the boat to receive their signal.

Any idea of cost of delivery target date?

It is up to the customer to suspend a rope over the edge of the boat and hang the L1 location transmitter there. The L1 is powered internally by the same battery as the T1 transmitter. We are considering the possibility of increasing the transmit power in the L1, to increase the range (simple change in the internal software). However this will decrease the battery life. What would you consider acceptable battery life for a rechargeable and disposable battery in the L1?

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

…We are considering the possibility of increasing the transmit power in the L1, to increase the range (simple change in the internal software). However this will decrease the battery life. What would you consider acceptable battery life for a rechargeable and disposable battery in the L1?...

I wouldn’t have any hesitation swapping rechargeable batteries every day. In fact, I am inclined to change them daily for reliability and simplicity as part of the pre-flight. It is easier for me to change batteries than remember how many hours are on the battery.

Consider a liveaboard, which is worst case. Even with 4 dives plus a night dive you are looking at maybe 15 hours or half normal battery life. It wouldn’t bother me in the least if battery life was 6-8 hours to get a 200 meter or better homing range.

Is the boat (and diver transmitter for that matter) water activated or is a switch involved? I would vote for 2x (or even 5x) distance a diver can receive the boat homing signal over battery life any day.

Will “diver tracking” feature of the L1 location transmitter be part of the future boat messaging kit? It would be spectacular if the messaging kit were laptop-based and had constant cylinder pressure, heading, and distance recording data for each diver.

It would be even better if the application could read a USB GPS dongle and have time stamps. All the diver would have to do is remember the time (and maybe depth) to get GPS coordinates of a found object off the laptop. For me, that would be virtually as useful as an inertial nav system on the diver and not have to deal with the added user interface complications in the water.

How will the messaging unit work? Will you have to pull up the transmitter on a rope, transfer the message, and drop it back in the water?

It is up to the customer to suspend a rope over the edge of the boat and hang the L1 location transmitter there. The L1 is powered internally by the same battery as the T1 transmitter. We are considering the possibility of increasing the transmit power in the L1, to increase the range (simple change in the internal software). However this will decrease the battery life. What would you consider acceptable battery life for a rechargeable and disposable battery in the L1?

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

I would be happy to compromise battery life for a range of greater than 100 metres for th L1 transmitter. However want batteries to last at least 10 dives.

Any more ino on release date??

Cheers

I would be happy to compromise battery life for a range of greater than 100 metres for th L1 transmitter. However want batteries to last at least 10 dives.

Any more ino on release date??

Cheers

We will investigate higher power options -- the maximum range boost we can get is about 50% more, though the battery life decreases exponentially.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

couldn't the L1 unit be powered by the boat?

i.e. couldn't you just dangle it on a wire over the side of the boat, or does it half to be at the bottom?

Back
Top Bottom