Luxfer S80 vs SO80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlabamaExile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any difference between a Luxfer S80 and a Luxfer SO80? I have searched the Luxfer website but have not been able to find the answer. I also searched the forums for an answer but to no avail.

I assume that the SO80 is a newer model number for the S80, but that there is otherwise no difference in the two tanks. Can someone here give me the answer?

Thanks,

AE

Luxfer greatly trimmed down their SCUBA line a while back. The SO80 is the old standard 7-1/4" x 26" Luxfer 80. The S80 was a shorter, fatter 8" x 23" 80 that doesn't seem to be made anymore.

Is there any difference between a Luxfer S80 and a Luxfer SO80? I have searched the Luxfer website but have not been able to find the answer. I also searched the forums for an answer but to no avail.

I assume that the SO80 is a newer model number for the S80, but that there is otherwise no difference in the two tanks. Can someone here give me the answer?

Thanks,

AE

Luxfer greatly trimmed down their SCUBA line a while back. The SO80 is the old standard 7-1/4" x 26" Luxfer 80. The S80 was a shorter, fatter 8" x 23" 80 that doesn't seem to be made anymore.

I guess I should have indicated in my first post that I just bought the two tanks. One has an original hydro date of 4/99 and is a Luxfer S80. The other has an original hydro date of 6/05 and is a Luxfer SO80. Both tanks appear to be the exact same dimensions and weigh the same -- the only difference is that one is an S80 and the other and SO80. The S80 definitely is not an 8" tank. See the pictures below.

Both tanks side by side:

IMG_0711_1.jpg

S80:

IMG_0709_1.jpg

SO80:

IMG_0710_1.jpg

As you can see, the tanks seem to have identical dimensions, but one is maked as an S80 and the other an SO80. Anyone else have any thoughts as to the difference?

Thanks,

AE

Goes to show never believe what you read on the net!

Most of the specification charts on the net, and couple I have here, show the S80 as being the low profile version, but the ones in your picture are pretty clearly the same.

Back
Top Bottom