lumix lx7, sony rx100 or canon G16/s120 for underwater ambient light video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheBlueElement

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everybody!

I am going to work in Panama - Coiba for a while: loads of big schools of fish, whalesharks, sharks and pelagics. Visibilty is around 15-20 meters/ 45-60 feet and average depth 10-20m / 30-60 feet.

so i am looking for a compact setup that does excellent video specially focusing and color richness. I have the G16 (photos are excellent) at the moment and video is excellent except as soon the visibilty is not the best or things are a bit further like pelagics the camera suffers from terrible focus hunting and video is unusable or just frustrating. Is this fixable do i just use wrong settings? What settings for wideangle ambient light video do you recommend.

As i have plenty of buyers for my g16 i am thinking to swith to lumix lx7 or sony rx100 any advice or experience on ambient wideangle video with those?

Will a wide angle lens improve the focus hunting maybe? Or how about getting even a gopro with magic filters?

Read my blog for in depth reviews of the RX100 and LX7 and how to use them for video

In general particles in the water don't help and you should be careful to use autofocus especially if you are far and don't have a wide angle lens

From my experience the white balance on the LX7 works better than the RX100, the RX100 however works wonders with a filter and you don't even need to touch the camera

From an ease of use point of view I recommend RX100M2+UWL-H100+Red Filter. If you have money buy a Nauticam housing if not get an ikelite but make sure you get the Inon TYPE 1 mount or you have vignette

If you do not get a wide angle lens the depth of field will be limited and the camera will go focus hunting, you need to use manual focus

For what you say you will see a wide angle lens is a must and you need to get close as otherwise the footage will look poor

Of the 3 cameras you mention G16, LX7 and RX100 the Sony has the best autofocus in the mid range

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom