LUMIX LX10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be there @drhappy I've gone the last few years in a row. I can't help myself, I'm like a kid in the candy store.
You mentioned a class/hands on seminar, is this private or is it something I can register to attend? Or will you just be dropping into the backscatter booth and making them teach you everything they know?

there is an amazing book that I just got for helping me out with my new LX10. I am a couple weeks into learning the camera (above water) and not yet ready to dive with it, but the difference in my shots since I bought it is huge. I am a novice, and have always been intimidated by the mechanics of photography beyond point and shoot, but this book has been a fantastic help:

Photographer's Guide to the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX10/LX15: Getting the Most from Panasonic's Advanced Compact Camera

(not my book, I don't know the author, I don't get anything if you buy it)
I also got the kindle version of the book free when i ordered the softcover, and i think that will be awesome when traveling (the physical book is quite large, a serious manual). I've also learned to buy the camera that everyone thinks is great (like the LX10), not because I necessarily think that everyone is right, but because it means there will be a lot of helpful youtube videos, and there are A LOT of helpful videos about the LX10.

This you tube video really does a great job going over the key functions and how to operate many things on the LX10. Some times seeing someone else doing the task on the camera itself it's really helpful.

I've been using and RX100M2 in a Nauticam housing for a couple of years, and am happy with it in general. But the inability to UW white balance has forced me to use a color correction filter on my WA wet lens, and it's a pain to pop it on and off when I want to switch from ambient light video to flash photos and back. I was intrigued to learn about the LX10's ability to easily custom WB at depth, (and was VERY unhappy when Sony decided to firmware update this feature into every RX100 model except mine and the M1), so I have started to research the LX10 as another potential lightweight rig.

I've read that the LX10 won't effectively use auto ISO when shooting video. So if I understand correctly, if I wanted to keep shutter speed (and lighting) consistent in a video sequence, I'm forced to use shutter-priority and watch the DOF drift around with any changes in lighting due to aperture changing rather than ISO. Is this right? Ugh.

Also, I use an Inon UWL-100 28AD wide angle wet lens with the Nauticam housing. This lens has the AD bayonet mount, and I'm able to use it with the housing's M67 filter threads via a cheap M67-28AD adapter ring. It works REALLY slick being able to quickly change lenses underwater, and it shoots without vignetting. Can anyone tell me if I would be able to use this same wet lens with the Nauticam LX10 housing with little vignetting? Does the camera's lens come physically close enough to the port glass?

regarding white balance - can't this be modified in post? I've read several comments elsewhere saying that for stills they shoot in raw and leave wb on auto, then adjust as needed in post. I know you can't shoot in raw in video, so maybe that isn't a thing in video. I know you can reduce color and then enhance and adjust it later, but i am really not a video guy, so i can't say for sure...i'm sure it's in that book.

WB isn't generally a problem for photos, you are correct. So technically I could leave the color correction filter on all the time (for ambient light video as well as flash photos) but this isn't good practice and I lose a stop or two due to the filter. And it just seems like I shouldn't HAVE to use the filter when there are cameras out there that successfully WB underwater for shooting video. The LX10 seemed like the next best evolution but the auto ISO question could be a deal-spoiler.

WB isn't generally a problem for photos, you are correct. So technically I could leave the color correction filter on all the time (for ambient light video as well as flash photos) but this isn't good practice and I lose a stop or two due to the filter. And it just seems like I shouldn't HAVE to use the filter when there are cameras out there that successfully WB underwater for shooting video. The LX10 seemed like the next best evolution but the auto ISO question could be a deal-spoiler.

I clearly mixed your concern with something else i was thinking about. I can look up iso info in my book about the LX10, though I can't speak with experience. I was speaking with a friend last night about ISO in caves, using this and similar cameras. He advised me to limit it as much as possible, but we didn't talk about changing it during filming. I'll take a look now through the book and see if I find anything relevant.

Last edited:

EDIT: Initially I had 'auto WB can be used in P, A and S video modes', I meant auto ISO.

Auto ISO can be used in P, A and S video modes. I think where the problem lies is when you want to shoot manual, there is no auto ISO option.

Last edited:
To give you an idea of the WB video settings, there are 6 clips below in the 30 second video (all in 45 ft of water):
1. Auto WB red filter
2. Auto WB red filter corrected in Davinci Resolve
3. Manual WB red filter
4. Manual WB red filter corrected
5. Manual WB no filter
6. Manual WB no filter corrected

All shot using the LX10 in Nauticam housing (no wet lenses) using the Cinelike D picture profile. No lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom