Lumens for narrow light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone wants to give me some advice for a cheap canister light that could be used for GUE training ?

Since you mentioned GUE training, let me split this into two situation s.

1. If you are just started, say about to take GUE fundamental or primer, going in with single tank config, shooting for a rec pass. Don't buy a canister light just yet. You don't need one for this purpose. Take the class, see what other GUE divers use in your area, talk to instructors, decide what is the best option at that time.

2. If you are already diving doubles, drysuits, need a can light for the next level of trainings, then I would say don't focus on "cheap". Focus on the features of the light, say, brightness, beam angle, runtime, reliability, serviceability, support from manufacturers ... More of a long term thing. The cost of a light will not be any significant portion of the grand scheme (training, drysuits, gas, boat, and other misc gears). It is a lot cheaper to get it right the first time than doing constant upgrades.

Buy an old Halcyon 14 lead acid light with 50W halogen slug on the goodman handle, w/o E/O cord. That was the original GUE DIR Light. You can probably get one including the charger now for much less than $100.

Michael

I am not sure I will recommend that. In my first GUE class, one of the team mate had this light. The canister is the size of a Costco kirdland brand paper towel if not bigger. Runtime is like 40min. Output is like 100 lumen. My Hollis LED5 3C backup at that time was much bright and more useful.

No need to buy an old halogen when you can pick up a 21W HID for probably $300 that doesn't require carrying a stage to make up for the drag of the canister.

Back
Top Bottom