Lubricate threads on 1st stage reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only on the HP side. I don't use nitrox.
Am kind of with @BoltSnap on this one: would leave the DIN threads dry but clean and not use (oxygen compatible) grease on the threads as it'll just attract dirt.

Here's a question: would you put caps on your DIN regulators for storage?

I tend to hang mine up in the garage with no cap on them, simply to allow air around the initial filters, etc. If transporting them I put a cap on them to protect the O-ring.

Am kind of with @BoltSnap on this one: would leave the DIN threads dry but clean and not use (oxygen compatible) grease on the threads as it'll just attract dirt.

I tend to hang mine up in the garage with no cap on them, simply to allow air around the initial filters, etc. If transporting them I put a cap on them to protect the O-ring.

If I had DIN regs I would, I put dust caps on the yoke regs, same reason kept'em clean.
Mine hang in my cellar a few feet away from the dehumidifier.

Packing my scuba gear for storage until my next trip (in 4 months.)

Everything is rinsed in fresh water and thoroughly dried.

Wondering if I should put any sort of oil or lubricant on the threads of my first stage regs. If so, then what sort?

(I have noticed that there is a tiny bit of brown corrosion on the threads.)

What says the hive mind?

Do not put oil or grease on the DIN threads. If there is some minor corrosion an old tooth brush or nothing more aggressive than a soft brass bristle brush can be used to gently clean the threads. Then wipe them with a soft cloth. A little bit of silicone or if Nitrox then a compatible lubricant would not be a huge sin but my official answer is none.

N

I put a plug on the DIN for storage and make sure that it is on snug. We have cockroaches, ants and spiders that will sneak in there and make it a home for themselves. I just can't deal with cockroaches.

I soak my DIN first stages with the dust cap on.

Some people will tell you that it is not a good idea though …

Only on the HP side. I don't use nitrox. I'll let you know if I blowup. Haven't yet but I still have a few more years at least.
Hopefully you’ll have many years of diving to come without blowing up :p

Back
Top Bottom