Lubricant for stainless steel bolt snaps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was where I was leaning. Would it stay longer than the WD40?
I can't say. I use silicone on all my gear (except regs) and have never tried wd-40 on my dive gear. I don't dive every day (more like once a week at best) and I generally spray down my gear after I get done cleaning and drying my gear post-dive.

I generally only use WD40 on my bolt snaps and double enders.

Oil makes sand and grit adhere to stuff. Powdered graphite works better. A regular pencil lead will work too. I despise people spraying wd40 etc into a lock. It works temporarily but exasperates the problem in the long run
LOL. I'm sorry you despise me. I've been using WD40 without any issues. Oh, and I'm sure you meant exacebate, not exasperate.

What kind of oil?

Wd40 etc. As wd40 dries it leaves a sticky gummy film. If whatever you are spraying it on is subjected to sand and grit it will gum it up. Not such a big deal with a bolt snap but with something like a padlock etc it really makes a mess. I had an old clock repairman teach me this about 35 years ago. He was working on my mother's grandfather clock and it was sticking. I asked him if he needed some wd40. He explained why you should never use it on something like a clock or lock set / padlock. He then told me about graphite. I just rub a pencil lead on my bolt snaps and it works really well. This is probably the only thing I learned in elementary school.

Wd40 etc. As wd40 dries it leaves a sticky gummy film. If whatever you are spraying it on is subjected to sand and grit it will gum it up. Not such a big deal with a bolt snap but with something like a padlock etc it really makes a mess. I had an old clock repairman teach me this about 35 years ago. He was working on my mother's grandfather clock and it was sticking. I asked him if he needed some wd40. He explained why you should never use it on something like a clock or lock set / padlock. He then told me about graphite. I just rub a pencil lead on my bolt snaps and it works really well. This is probably the only thing I learned in elementary school.

I'll confirm that from my old locksmith friend too.

...for bolt snaps it isn't a fine mechanism and I've not noticed wd40 causing any issue watching buddy who uses it all over but seems to need applied very frequently ... I do use graphite paste sometimes but more commonly a dab of whatever silicone lube I have on hand.

I don't use WD40 or (CRC 5-56) on anything that needs to stay lubricated. That stuff is great for loosening up rusty and/or stuck parts, not so much as a general lubricant.

I have a small box of silicone grease in my SAD kit. I use it for whatever needs long-lasting lubrication.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom