Lubing drysuit zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know to lube the zipper of a dry suit prior to diving.

I dive at most once a week. I also sometimes have weeks, even months, of no diving.

It is hung by the legs upside down in a closet that has carpet that is similar to what you would see in commercial high traffic areas.

Should I lube the zipper before the dive, or should I lube it before I store it?

wax get a crayon or a block of wax sticky silicon grease will pick up sand

---------- Post added February 18th, 2013 at 11:55 PM ----------

when doesn't matter

You can go on line or to your LDS and get some wax I us McCormics Bees wax cost me like 5 bucks on E-Bay. You do not have to wax before /after each dive . You can do it once a month and cleaner the zipper before each wax w/ a soft thooth brush. this will get any gritty grime that has gotten in the teeth of the zipper. This will help with the longevity of the zipper. I wax my zipper after I clean my suit (after a dive)and let it dry then scrub the teeth w/ tooth brush and then wax and then put away for the next dive .

I got in habit of using pure paraffin on my zipper after a days diving and after having rinsed the suit. That way I would make sure the zipper was in fine shape for the next days diving. If there was an issue like sand in the zipper I would discover it then rather when suiting up and having to deal with it then.

I know to lube the zipper of a dry suit prior to diving.

I dive at most once a week. I also sometimes have weeks, even months, of no diving.

It is hung by the legs upside down in a closet that has carpet that is similar to what you would see in commercial high traffic areas.

Should I lube the zipper before the dive, or should I lube it before I store it?

Hi swimmer_spe,

Lots of good recommendations on here. We have a few more for you to consider when storing your suit.

It's a good idea to have your suit all prepped (washed, dried inside and out, zipper lubed and seals treated with unscented talc powder) and ready to go for your next dive.
Always keep the zipper at least 1/2 to 3/4 closed, this prevents the zipper from being spread apart and will minimize additional stress when storing/transporting the suit.

Safe diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom