LP95 or even LP108 for Sidemount Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your buddy can obviously help you, but that's not the point here...
While 30mins at 200ft is at the bare edge of what 2x 40s can do...

In really cold water (assuming jvogt is in Colorado?) you absolutely need to have a buddy to share a lost deco gas with because the thermal units necessary to complete the deco on backgas become obscene.

While 30mins at 200ft is at the bare edge of what 2x 40s can do...

In really cold water (assuming jvogt is in Colorado?) you absolutely need to have a buddy to share a lost deco gas with because the thermal units necessary to complete the deco on backgas become obscene.

Correct we are teamed up on these dives.

I typically exit this dive with >min gas in reserve (~1200 psi) and halves remaining for deco gas. For anything longer or deeper I'll switch to an 80 for O2 and 50% and add an 80 of travel gas. Water temp is ~60F and the altitude is 4600'. We are running GF 50/80.

I agree that there's 6lbs to 8lbs of air inside, but that's on a scale at the surface. In water, these numbers are different based on the cylinder's characteristics, in addition to the sea vs fresh water difference. But maybe I'm wrong? (please correct me if I am!!) :)
i disagree. 1# of gas is 1# of neg buoyancy. air weight does not change. use a tank with -2 buoyancy emity. add to it 100 cuft of air and it now weighs anther 8# or a total of -10.

I'll weigh in to. My go to tanks are Faber LP95s. I love them. I have done 85s, 108s, &121s and I can tell you it was the 121s that were cumbersome due to the length. I'm 6'1” so they weren't terrible but they are extremely long for anything small cave. As far as volume though they offered more than I could ever want. I was able to do four dives in one day and the beauty part was the tanks never had to leave the water. If you're going to step up in size i would make the jump worth it and buy tanks bigger than you think you'll need. I can say that if you have the option to rent tanks I would do that. As far as trim goes all sizes and lengths have a few tweaks but can trim nicely.

Back
Top Bottom