LP95 Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Satori

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all...Do I truly need to take a class to dive doubles in open water? I have 2 LP95's I like to turn into a set. I currently have apeks regs (adding long hose) and use a dive rite BP/W w/ standard harness. I know I would need a different wing but would this be a good decision? Any comments appreciated.

SS

Sure, if you feel comfortable enough. I don't see any problems with it. Especially if you are planning on going into tech. diving. The more practice with your doubles the better.

You will need another wing, but I would find someone who dives doubles and you'll be fine

I am going to try to dive double LP85's for the first time this weekend. I am buddying up with a couple of cave divers that have some experience in doubles & are willing to help show me the ropes of how to handle them, in open water of course. Although I know of a few divers that taught themselves to use doubles on their own, I guess I'm not that brave. I'd rather have someone familiar with them to give me a hand, if I get into a pinch.

Just get a buddy that has been diving doubles... make sure the bands are in the correct location on the tanks so you will be trimmed correctly, etc.

We first dove doubles about 4 years ago and we were made to believe it was going to be so difficult, etc. After one dive to play around, check trim, roll over and upside-down I felt like I was diving them forever.

Except for tropical dive trips I NEVER dive single tanks any longer! The balance and trim is awesome. Give it a shot and you will never look back.

Scott

Depends on what you plan to do with them. I dive HP120 singles with a stage bottle. I run out of NDL before gas. Also, it's WAY easier schlepping up the boat ladder with a single than doubles, especially in rough seas.

I will be doubling my 120's when I start doing deco. But for the majority of the rec wrecks, singles work well. LP120's can be pumped up to @160cf. That's the equivalent of doubled 80's. Of course, I'm liable to get stoned for saying it....:D

Just dive shallow, take time and relax............

I have hp130 and dive open water. But I do penetrate wrecks so the back up gas is nice to have for me and my buddy

The best route is either to find a good mentor or take a course. Fortunately, you're in the northern california and have a lot of options. We were interested in doubles last year, and took a one day mini course (mini-doubles report). For us, that was the best way to get introduced to doubles.

Back
Top Bottom