LP50s Modular Valves required?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So I picked up a set of LP51s, they have standard valves, so I want to set them up for sidemount with mirrored valves.

Thanks to the supply shortage my preferred DGX long neck modular aren't available. So I want to know how required are the modular valves with the LP50s? I am able to get away with non-modular valves on my LP85s.

Also what hose retainers do you use? I prefer the 2" UWLD but he doesn't make them for LP50s.

I have modular L/R valves on both sets of my LP50s. You could just make your own hose retainers from thicker bungee. I’ve got hose retainers meant for AL40s on my 50s and they work just fine.

Non-modular valves on your 85s - why? Only people who rent tanks should have to dive like that. :shakehead:

EDIT: sorry, sorry. Thought you meant non-mirrored valves.

If you’re just putting the bungee around the hand wheel it doesn’t matter. Personally I now dive 50s sm with the bungee going around the modular side so it torques the reg to be in towards my armpit. For me (at least when I’m sm’ing 50s for bailout), the 50s don’t ride as well when I loop over the hand wheel. I find 50s tend to move more than heavier steels. So by going around the modular side and torquing the 50s they are way more secure. With lp85s I just dive around the handwheel

I find 50s tend to move more than heavier steels. So by going around the modular side and torquing the 50s they are way more secure.

I was thinking that it would ride more like an aluminum tank requiring wrapping it around to the post.

I think I might have to move some valves around, but I can probably dig up the one side that is out of stock with DGX.

Maybe check the DGX site again. You might get a pleasant surprise.
Oops, I thought you were looking for the non-standard side.

I was thinking that it would ride more like an aluminum tank requiring wrapping it around to the post.

I think I might have to move some valves around, but I can probably dig up the one side that is out of stock with DGX.
Not to give a horrible answer, but they're similar and different. I actually found the 50s more annoying initially than al80s.

If you get hard up waiting for the valves to come back into stock and really need those dgx valves message me. I think I have 2 or 3 sets sitting in a box for a rainy day. They may be thermos though. I would have to look. My garage is more stocked than most dive shops, so it's hard to keep track. I prefer the long neck valves too after coming initially froim thermo before dgx had theirs. I wasn't planning on selling any of them, but to be honest if they're in a box I'm probably not going to miss them,.

Not to give a horrible answer, but they're similar and different. I actually found the 50s more annoying initially than al80s.

If you get hard up waiting for the valves to come back into stock and really need those dgx valves message me. I think I have 2 or 3 sets sitting in a box for a rainy day. They may be thermos though. I would have to look. My garage is more stocked than most dive shops, so it's hard to keep track. I prefer the long neck valves too after coming initially froim thermo before dgx had theirs. I wasn't planning on selling any of them, but to be honest if they're in a box I'm probably not going to miss them,.

I may take you up on that, but let me check my car in the morning. I think I have a right side long neck modular on my pony bottle, and it doesn't really need that valve.

@Manatee Diver

@Bobby definitely makes bungees for LP50's, they're on the website as 5.5" tanks.

On the valve side, the righty valves aren't ideal especially if they don't have a post on the end, i.e. normal manifold valves, so I would keep an eye out for them but nothing you can't work around in the interim.

Checked my pony this morning, looks like with a little musical valves I can have a set with just ordering the left side on DGX.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom