LP50 Doubles and/or Backmount Independent Doubles Accepable for ITT & AN/DP/HT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Food for thought. ITT and Cavern in MX cenotes would be pretty awesome. I'm going to have to get back in the water in singles and then get IDs sorted out to my own satisfaction before making any actual decisions. Fortunately, here I've got some buddies that I believe will help me with the logistics as I'm feeling out my capabilities. I'm hoping for a cautious start later in June, but that is a complete, and maybe grossly optimistic, guess.

And cave on LP50s is not gonna happen for me. With 1/6ths I'd be measuring my penetrations with a ruler. Think Jethro Tull :eek::D. If I go cave, it will probably be on RB. Lots of steps before getting there.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.

Yeah, 50s too small for cave. Ran into that myself. 80s were the smallest my instructor allowed. A fellow student in my class couldn’t use his 72s. I’m learning to love my 85s more.

@-JD- finding double 50's in Mexico may be a bit problematic, I wouldn't count on that being an option.

Also, what do you think ITT is for if you are going to figure out how to dive doubles on your own?

@-JD- finding double 50's in Mexico may be a bit problematic, I wouldn't count on that being an option.
Damn, there you go being practical. I would have to get logistics assistance to deal with full size banded doubles for the ITT, portion. I believe cavern I could do on singles with a pony.

@-JD- Also, what do you think ITT is for if you are going to figure out how to dive doubles on your own?
I've been working with my doubles for the last season, alternation for independents would be something new, but shouldn't flummox me. I imagine that becoming "good" is best accomplished with excellent coaching. I'd rather spend an instructor's day moving from basic to good rather than going from 0 to competent. I'm sure that there is plenty of other refinements and that would be valuable for me to spend any "spare" time on that will pay dividends in future steps.

@-JD- why not just manifold them? Why dive them as independents?

diving indy doubles isn't rocket science though. The only change to the regulators is a HP hose and SPG on the right post and some way to look at it. Either a right hip d-ring, or run it over and down the inflator hose. Other than that, it is figure out when to switch. The issue with that is that no one really dives or teaches independent doubles anymore, so you have to figure that out on your own based on what you believe. Unlike sidemount you don't really have to worry about balancing the tanks because it will cause you to roll over, especially with 50's, so you can switch whenever you want, so you have to come up with your own paradigm.

@-JD-

If you have access to 3600 overfills, then why not consider a set of Faber LP85? It’s not much, but they are lighter than HP100s.

@-JD-

If you have access to 3600 overfills, then why not consider a set of Faber LP85? It’s not much, but they are lighter than HP100s.

he said he had 10lbs of lead on with the HP100's, so it would be a wash with the 85's since they're more buoyant.

he said he had 10lbs of lead on with the HP100's, so it would be a wash with the 85's since they're more buoyant.

With my very new and very buoyant DUI DuoTherm 300 undersuit, I need to carry 16lbs of lead with my 85s. Worked that out in the pool yesterday. I’m happy with the 85s as they’re lighter than 100s. Even with doing SM, I do my best to minimize weight I have to move around.

With my very new and very buoyant DUI DuoTherm 300 undersuit, I need to carry 16lbs of lead with my 85s. Worked that out in the pool yesterday. I’m happy with the 85s as they’re lighter than 100s. Even with doing SM, I do my best to minimize weight I have to move around.

doubles would have all of that weight on the rig somewhere that you have to walk around in so it wouldn't do anything. In sidemount you have admittedly only 3lbs less with the 85's that I certainly don't notice, but I dive LP cylinders in sidemount because of their buoyancy characteristics.

@tbone1004 ,

thanks for making my point, Marie13. It sounded to me like the weight of handling the tanks was also a consideration.

@tbone1004 ,

thanks for making my point, Marie13. It sounded to me like the weight of handling the tanks was also a consideration.

I don’t have @-JD- ‘s back issues, but between both wonky knees and sciatica (well, false sciatica aka piriformis syndrome) on one side, I swear it’s the sciatica that gives me more issues. I might not be slinging tanks on my back anymore, but the sciatica can make its unhappiness known just moving gear around, even on wheels.

I remember what it was like trying to move doubles around. I moved them on my back whenever possible. SM was the best solution for me. Two of the quarries and the WI mine I dive have walk in entries. Will be interesting moving to boat diving this summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom