LP Steel - Worthington, OMS or Faber?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea View

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Looking to buy a couple new steel LP cylinders; Anyone have any experience with Worthington, OMS or Faber (good or bad) on 2400 / 2640 -PSI LP steel tanks?

They all seem to be similar in the basic characteristics for LP95s or LP108s
LP108 (8.0" x 26.5") 43/45 lbs empty, bouyancy -8lbs full / Neutral empty
LP95 (8.0" x 23.7") 39/42 lbs empty, bouyancy -8lbs full / -1lb empty

Besides the capacity 94.3 vs 107.4 is one manufacturer any better than the other
as long as they are manufactured to the DOT 3AA scuba standard / meets all specifications of the Canadian TC3AAM standard?

Any one had any issues with one over the other?

Thanks!

fabers are awesome tanks

worthingtons are just coming into the scuba market, but that company is the
leading steel cylinder manufacturer in the world, and has been for a while

i went with the worthingtons because of price (i have 2 LP 85's)

I've also considered the Worthingtons because of the price, looks like they are significantly less expensive - wondering if that also equates to "cheaper".
I think Faber was also adopted by a few name brands like Scubapro, that might make them a bit more exclusive and add $$.
It used to be a tank was a tank (the old days) - not so sure that is the case anymore w/new alloys and processes (thinner walls / higher stress loads). Also not sure if it even matters - maybe all LPs are just fine and I should go w/ best Price.

H2Andy:
fabers are awesome tanks

worthingtons are just coming into the scuba market, but that company is the
leading steel cylinder manufacturer in the world, and has been for a while

i went with the worthingtons because of price (i have 2 LP 85's)

There are two manufacturers of steel cylenders, Favor and Press Steel. OMS, Sherwood, ect. just have them made to their spec. and put their names on the cylenders. As far as DOT and TC certifications go in the U.S. you only need the DOT certification, once you cross the boarder into Canada shops aren't suppose to fill a tank unless it has a TC certification on it (this is a Transport Canada law and a shop can eat up to a $50,000.00 fine and an individual can be fined up to $5,000.00) Crazy hu? The DOT is actually a higher standard and Canada doesn't recognize it.

Hmmm, interesting ...according to their websites they (worthington) leads one to believe they make their own tanks.
>>>>>>
Pressure Cylinders
Worthington Cylinders is the world's leading global supplier of pressure cylinders and offers the most complete line of pressure cylinder vessels to more than 70 countries.

The Industries We Serve
Our company manufactures cylinders to serve the following industries and uses.

Industrial and specialty high-pressure, acetylene and composite cylinders are used to hold gases for various applications such as cutting and welding metals, breathing (medical, diving, firefighting), semiconductor production and beverage delivery, and compressed natural gas.
>>>>>

hardhat:
There are two manufacturers of steel cylenders, Favor and Press Steel. OMS, Sherwood, ect. just have them made to their spec. and put their names on the cylenders. As far as DOT and TC certifications go in the U.S. you only need the DOT certification, once you cross the boarder into Canada shops aren't suppose to fill a tank unless it has a TC certification on it (this is a Transport Canada law and a shop can eat up to a $50,000.00 fine and an individual can be fined up to $5,000.00) Crazy hu? The DOT is actually a higher standard and Canada doesn't recognize it.

hardhat:

There are definitely more than two manufacturers...Faber, Pressed Steel, Worthington (made over here in Ontario) are prominent, and I've seen others including a LP 'Norris' tank. Regarding DOT versus TC, I prefer the TC ratings because plus stamps are not required (typically 184 bar for LP fabers). I will agree that it's inconvenient that DOT only tanks cannot be filled but it's certainly not the only example of our love for bureaucracy.

Sean

hardhat:
There are two manufacturers of steel cylenders, Favor and Press Steel.

I am pretty sure neither favor or press steel make cylenders :crafty:

Sea View:
Looking to buy a couple new steel LP cylinders; Anyone have any experience with Worthington, OMS or Faber (good or bad) on 2400 / 2640 -PSI LP steel tanks?

They all seem to be similar in the basic characteristics for LP95s or LP108s
LP108 (8.0" x 26.5") 43/45 lbs empty, bouyancy -8lbs full / Neutral empty
LP95 (8.0" x 23.7") 39/42 lbs empty, bouyancy -8lbs full / -1lb empty

Besides the capacity 94.3 vs 107.4 is one manufacturer any better than the other
as long as they are manufactured to the DOT 3AA scuba standard / meets all specifications of the Canadian TC3AAM standard?

Any one had any issues with one over the other?

Thanks!

I just got a set of the Worthington LP 108's. To me, they were far and away the best value. I dropped around 6 lbs going from an AL 80 to the 108. For beach diving, they're kind of big (to carry around). I've got about 6 dives on mine and the bouyancy characteristics are great compared to my AL 80's.

I've been thinking about the Worthington tanks also. I can pick up a LP85 for $215 with shipping included. Considering that an Alum 80 costs about $160 at most LDS's (unless you are in south florida), it's not that bad of a deal.

I hear that a lot of people "overfill" them, which is easily allowed 10%, but they fill them more. Still haven't decided if I want to do that yet though. Even if I fill it to 10% overfill, I still get something like 93 or 94 cubic feet. not bad.

alas, for good or ill, i have been "cave filling" my LP 85's (Worthingtons) to about 3200 psi (cold)

that's pretty standard practice here in Florida, and some people will go as high as 3600
(hot) or 3400 (cold)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom