LP Steel - Worthington, OMS or Faber?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
I've been thinking about the Worthington tanks also. I can pick up a LP85 for $215 with shipping included. Considering that an Alum 80 costs about $160 at most LDS's (unless you are in south florida), it's not that bad of a deal.

I hear that a lot of people "overfill" them, which is easily allowed 10%, but they fill them more. Still haven't decided if I want to do that yet though. Even if I fill it to 10% overfill, I still get something like 93 or 94 cubic feet. not bad.

If you are referring to a 10% overfill above the + rated fill (10%) then you're right, it'll hold somewhere around 93 cubic feet of air. I find it a bit misleading that the quoted volume of air is only achieved with the 'overfill' and wonder what benefit this archaic system has. PST has taken the best route with their higher pressure tanks sporting a superior finish. If they lowered their price they would have no competition, but their demand keeps the price up.

mike_s:
yeah... but like Andy said, a lot of people overfill them much past 10% upwards to 3600psi.

Agreed. But it'd be much easier to do so if they were rated to 3440 psi to start with. I also have a pair of LP 85s (fabers--for my wife but I may double them up instead) that would love a 3600 fill!

Andy, how are you getting over 25% fill in an LP tank rated at 2400 / 2640? do you have access to your own compressor? I'm guessing an LDS would not want to assume the liability unless you've been filling your own at their shop & they're none the wiser ...I've never heard of that kind of pressure in an LP (other than Hydro) that's common practice down there huh? Also guessing you'd have to change out the burst disks to 3200?

H2Andy:
alas, for good or ill, i have been "cave filling" my LP 85's (Worthingtons) to about 3200 psi (cold)

that's pretty standard practice here in Florida, and some people will go as high as 3600
(hot) or 3400 (cold)

Sea View:
Andy, how are you getting over 25% fill in an LP tank rated at
2400 / 2640? do you have access to your own compressor?

nope. the dive shops in cave country do this all the time as a routine
practice. it's nothing out of the ordinary here.

H2Andy:
alas, for good or ill, i have been "cave filling" my LP 85's (Worthingtons) to about 3200 psi (cold) that's pretty standard practice here in Florida, and some people will go as high as 3600 (hot) or 3400 (cold)
Hmmm...when I'm looking north, I'm not sure how I'm going to figure out if it's a shuttle launch or you exploding into orbit with your dangerously overfilled steel tanks letting go. I guess at apogee you'll be flapping your arms pretty good to maintain altitude and the shuttle won't.
Make sure you use a steel backplate so you get to enjoy the ride. This might be a good argument for wearing the valve on the bottom of the cylinder.

i have always wanted to be an astronaut

so... i may yet get my wish :eyebrow:

of course, if i'm pointing in the wrong direction, i might become a miner...

Wow...that might look like a Poseidon nuke launch coming out of the water! A few decades ago, something like that could have started WW III! WHOOSH!

Back
Top Bottom