LP ports on SP MK 5 different sizes. WTF??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a SP MK 5 I acquired from a local seller. This is the two LP port variant. It appears in very nice shape and came with a DIN conversion (looks original).

In testing it I thought it was leaking. Problem turns out to be the two LP ports are different sizes. I'm certain SP had a better idea, but can someone 'splain to me WTF they were thinking?

John,

This is the first I've heard of 2 lp ports on a Scuba Pro regulator being different sizes. (what sizes are they?) If this is the same reg you posted pictures of in other threads, it makes me wonder if a previous owner had a penchant to tinker as the modern DIN fittings do not usually fit that model.

me thinks "butcher" job....

I have a mk5 with the 5 lp turret and they are all the same size. Not sure what happend to yours but that's odd.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Orignally my MKV was a 2 lp I had it converted to 5 long ago but they were both the same size. I think LPs on reg are standard world wide. Also the 2 lp reg was made long before DIN was in use or at least common use in the USA.

Last edited:
What do the threads look like on the larger port?

My guess is that someone cross threaded or otherwise mangled the threads on the larger side and then proceeded to drill and tap it. At 135 psi or thereabouts, I'd guess it's probably still safe, but I'd probably not dive with it anyway. It's not like there's a shortage of old single hose regulators out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom