lp 108 steel sidemount tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zirodae

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Due to age and wanting less stress on my back I have given up my steel 130 doubles and plan to go side mount. I still have a really good set of steel 108 low pressure doubles that I am thinking about breaking down for side mount tanks. Is anyone using 108s? I am looking for comments from anyone who has actually tried them.

Due to age and wanting less stress on my back I have given up my steel 130 doubles and plan to go side mount. I still have a really good set of steel 108 low pressure doubles that I am thinking about breaking down for side mount tanks. Is anyone using 108s? I am looking for comments from anyone who has actually tried them.
They’re…kind of large for what most people are doing. Also tend to be floaty when near empty. If you have them and you’re not a small human, great. Otherwise, an LP85/HP100 probably better if you don’t need the gas.

I dive Faber lp 108s sidemount cave diving and love ‘em — I find their trim and buoyancy characteristics much better than the standard lp 85s, which get floaty when they get low. Do have to breathe the 108s down more-or-less equally when they get lower to avoid a tendency to roll, but I find switching every 500-600 psi keeps thing trim.

I do NOT like Worthington/PST 108’s; those things weigh a ton.

I purchased a set of Faber LP112s (very similar to the LP108s) with the intent to use them as SM bailout for my CCR for deeper/bigger dives. Tried them in my normal SM configuration for OC and fell in love with them. They trim out nicely and don't get floaty at the end of the dive but aren't super heavy on land either. I like them as much as my Faber LP85s and with a cave fill, they give you a lot of gas to work with.

Depending on the plan dived I use a plethora of tanks. I use LP120s for deep bailout(sub-300ft), 104/108/112 for mid depth/time and 85s for "recreational tech dives". I would say dive what you got they will work well for you.

I have a set of Faber LP108s that I've been diving for the past two years. They trim out pretty much similar as my LP85s, they do get a bit floatier but not as much of an issue in cave diving.

I generally go for the LP108s when I would otherwise go double stage with my LP85s. Or when I am diving with a BM diver using LP10Xs, just simpler to gas match.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom