Lower Keys Dive Group/Club...or SB Members

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive California

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi all, I'll be coming to lower keys for the entire month of August...to check it out and evaluate if we want to relocate. Are there any Dive Groups, Clubs, or SB members that get together on a regular basis. I am interested in explore everything about SCUBA Diving in the lower keys...even interested in talking with other Instructors.

I don't have a boat (yet) but am interested in knowing if any SBers that might want to dive with somebody from California (show me the ropes...I would gladly pitch in for cost)...Please PM me.

thanks, carlos
X(((((°>

Wow! I can't believe I've received no responses. Had someone posted this question on the Southern California forum...you would have received tons of information.

Are there no regular divers living in the Mid and/or Lower Keys that are on ScubaBoard? Are the only divers in the Keys tourist. This tell me alot about the divers in that area.

Well...open invitation to dive Southern California...you will have lots of SBers showing you the local dive sites.

Wow! I can't believe I've received no responses. Had someone posted this question on the Southern California forum...you would have received tons of information.

Are there no regular divers living in the Mid and/or Lower Keys that are on ScubaBoard? Are the only divers in the Keys tourist. This tell me alot about the divers in that area.

Well...open invitation to dive Southern California...you will have lots of SBers showing you the local dive sites.

Obviously no one that lives there wants to share with you.
West of the 7 mile bridge is more like the old Florida Keys and frankly less tourist oriented than the upper keys.
We like the Sugar Loaf and Cudjoe Keys, but Ram Rod and Big Pine are also good. Try Looe Key Resort. Bear in mind that a resort in the Keys is probably not going to be a high level resort. That's fine by me. Give me a place to wash my gear, eat, sleep and dive. We stay at Venture Out which is a gated property.

I can't remember the name of the dive shop but it is the first one you see on the right side of the road as you are entering Key West. They were very nice.

A must is the Hog Fish Bar and Grill on Stock Island. Do the fried Killer Hogfish Sandwich and their calamari. Lots of luck. Let me know what you think. PM me and let me know how it works out.

Dive California;

I do not want to come off as a snothead Floridian, but I can tell you that are very, very few Keys divers that are even on Scubaboard.

The folks in the Keys are kinda weird.
They are checked out.
They worked hard for many years to retire to paradise, and are not overly social media oriented.
My In-Laws have been retired down there near Big Pine for over 20 years.
They march to a different drummer, and you would be absolutely AMAZED at how few of them actually dive.
They Snorkle occasionally, fish a lot, but dive......not so much.
I am unaware of any "Clubs" or Fraternities down there, other than the Community College dive clubs.
A lot of them are just old pirate sailors (like my In-Laws) and are not particularly interested in socializing with you, until you get there.
But once you do get there, the people can be wonderful......and can also be total jerks.

Chug
Changed his mind about 15 years ago, and will definitely NOT be retiring to the Keys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom