Lower back pain while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got back from our latest dive vacation, and had experienced a very sore lower back during each dive. I have had the same feeling for the last year or so, anytime I lay out flat on my back in bed, now I get it while diving. I thought it was the weight belt, so I switched over to my Integrated BCD, with no change. Dr. thinks it's arthritis, but I am not sure yet. Some times I can feel it all the way down into the Rt Teste (sorry if I am giving too much detail here) usually it's a approx. 4 inch band around my hips, right at the place where a guy would wear a belt. Both sides ache. After this last week of diving I am ready to give up diving, due the pain, so I am looking for suggestions. My Dr has none, other than prescribe anti inflamatories, and pain pills. He did take an X ray, and ordered an MRI, but I have yet to hear back about the results. Last year he told me to do some pelvic excercises, which didn't help.

Sounds like sciatica. Wait for the MRI report.

Hi Diverrick

Did you visit your GP and ask him to do a check for testicular cancer? These things often start out with back pain, at least that's how it started out for two guys I know. It's a fairly simple blood test and a not so nice examination from your GP. But seriously, get it checked.

Best of luck

I'll talk about the nut cancer stuff the next time I see him. Thanks Lars. The Dr. told me he suspects it's spinal stenosis. I looked that up today online, and it sure sounds like what I have been experiencing, including the numb hands I had been complaining about for a few years now. up to now they had no idea why the would go numb on occaisions.

When wearing a wetsuit you might be getting slightly floaty feet which can slightling arch your back backwards while your torso is probably wieghted (weight belt or integrated wieghts). Also, when swimming along the bottom and looking ahead your head/neck position can also cause strain on your spine. It is possible that these slight posture changes can aggravate a pre-existing condition within your spine. I have a bad back and my back gets sore on scuba sometimes too but I do not experience this while freediving. I'm sure its posture related for me.

Spinal stenosis might cause a localized decompression sickness. The stenosis, or scarring around the spinal chord may also alter normal vascular flow in the region of scarring.

High vascularized tissue like muscle will clear nitrogen faster during ascent. Low vascularized regions like your spinal stenosis lags behind and nitrogen is 'trapped' longer in the tissue and prone to expansion. Hence, you may be experiencing a localized DCS.

However, it is also known that up to 40% of individuals over the age of 40 years who have absolutely no back pain or back dysfunction will have a reason on MRI to have back pain and dysfunction! MRIs are fantastic but often are the source of diagnostic tunnel vision.

However, you are confusing me a little bit. At first you state a lower back pain and leg pain (aka lumbar radiculopathy) consistent w/ lumbar stenosis. Next you discuss bilateral hand numbness that cannot be a result of lumbar stenosis.

I am personally not a big fan of chiropractors, particularly before you have a diagnosis. I think it is important to rule out other things, like testicular cancer, etc. Talk to your doc to find out if any other testing is indicated- e.g. bloodwork, ultrasound, etc. Then if you feel comfortable with a recommendation for a local chiropractor...

If your MRI shows spinal stenosis, then physical therapy will be an important part of keeping you strong and healthy with or without diving. Talk to your doctor about an Rx for physical therapy and work with your physical therapist on a life-time plan for keeping your core muscles strong to protect your back.

If your doc seems reluctant to work with you, find another doctor. Chronic pain can be debilitating, so don't let it get to that point!

Best of luck,

d.b.

Since the original post is dated 2008, I suspect the OP has found a solution to his problem already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom