Info Low volume mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But are those really worth the price over something like Mako or DGX? I have a Hollis M1 and my wife has the Atomic Frameless, and we both have a DGX as a backup mask. We have said to each other that we really can't tell the difference when we switch to the backup masks.

A buddy gave me a SP mask because he was getting out of the hobby. There is not ~ $100 difference between that and the others. I think he said he paid $130 for it? Crazy.

The S and the P on it must be made of gold!

A buddy gave me a SP mask because he was getting out of the hobby. There is not ~ $100 difference between that and the others. I think he said he paid $130 for it? Crazy.

The S and the P on it must be made of gold!
@rob.mwpropane,

I purchased my first SP Frameless new in 1995, and a second (for backup) new a couple of years later, in 1997, IIRC--both at full price.

The first mask has seen quite a bit of use, since I lap swim wearing it (mask, fins, snorkel, and weight belt) in chlorinated public pools, and it also serves as my scuba mask in open water. The second mask has seen very little use.

When both are clean, you have to look very, very closely to be able to tell the first mask from the second. They both still look new!

Yes, the SP Frameless mask is not inexpensive. But, it certainly is worth its price, IMHO.

rx7diver

@rob.mwpropane,

I purchased my first SP Frameless new in 1995, and a second (for backup) new a couple of years later, in 1997, IIRC--both at full price.

The first mask has seen quite a bit of use, since I lap swim wearing it (mask, fins, snorkel, and weight belt) in chlorinated public pools, and it also serves as my scuba mask in open water. The second mask has seen very little use.

When both are clean, you have to look very, very closely to be able to tell the first mask from the second. They both still look new!

Yes, the SP Frameless mask is not inexpensive. But, it certainly is worth its price, IMHO.

rx7diver
Can you post a picture? In a blind test I think I would have a really hard time telling the difference between the DGX and SP mask that I have. My inexpensive mask works, and if I lose, break, it's stolen I won't feel so bad.

I set a pair of doubles on my mask after my 1st doubles dive. Shattered to pieces. $35 (at that time) and 3 days later I had a brand new mask.

Nothing wrong with SP... I just can't fathom paying more for something that I can get for less and get the same quality. SP is name brand, DGX is generic... both get the job done (imo).

But are those really worth the price over something like Mako or DGX? I have a Hollis M1 and my wife has the Atomic Frameless, and we both have a DGX as a backup mask. We have said to each other that we really can't tell the difference when we switch to the backup masks.

I can only comment on those items which I have used and have experience with. I do have a couple of Scubapro Frameless knockoffs and they are quite fine masks. However, the buckle system on them is not equal to that on the real Scubapro and the overall quality is not either and they do not have the Ultra-clear glass of the Atomic which is noticeably without tint when compared side by side. For half the price that may be okay unless you triple the cost of the mask by having a prescription added. So, are the Atomic and the Scubapro worth the extra costs, with or without consideration of prescriptions, and my answer, for me, based on my use is yes. Others will have to decide for themselves. But my comment was really directed towards the use of a low volume single lens "type" SCUBA mask vs a twin lens, framed free diver mask.

And, for some the real thing is worth the extra price vs a knockoff. Historically both Scubapro and Atomic have been innovators, they produce a new design and then others copy. Yes, the real thing vs a copy, only you can decide.

The Atomic copy on the DGX website looks great and it says it is iron free glass!

James

Here's a link (on SP website): https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/masks/masks/frameless-dive-mask

ETA: Or are you asking for a pic of my personal masks?

rx7diver
No Sir, I just wanted to know which model you owned. They make a lot.

I am sure SP makes a top of the line mask. Between the $160 you linked vs the $45 DGX mask I have I just don't see the $125 difference. If the SP was $60-$70.... maybe I could see value in that.

And maybe it's because we dive different. My mask is used in low viz (15' or less) so it's not like it has to rise to the task of seeing 100'+. Maybe I would see a difference in that environment.

Some people like shiny things with fancy names on them (my wife!:D), and theres nothing wrong with that. I'm happy with something inexpensive that just works.

I have used both low volume and "standard" (non low volume) masks and much prefer low volume. The best fitting/ performing low volume mask I have tried to date is the IST Hunter mask, which is a twin/ independent lens mask. The only problem I found was that eventually the buckles, which like the Mako mask mentioned earlier, attach to the rubber skirt and after years of use the rubber ripped, the buckles could not be secured, and the mask was useless. I tried the Poseidon Red Line low volume mask and it is nice but leaked more for me and didn't seem quite as low volume as the IST. My newest low volume venture is the SEAC Italia and it is proving to be at least as good as the IST but with stronger folding buckles which attach to the frame and shouldn't rip out.

No Sir, I just wanted to know which model you owned. They make a lot.

I am sure SP makes a top of the line mask. Between the $160 you linked vs the $45 DGX mask I have I just don't see the $125 difference. If the SP was $60-$70.... maybe I could see value in that.

And maybe it's because we dive different. My mask is used in low viz (15' or less) so it's not like it has to rise to the task of seeing 100'+. Maybe I would see a difference in that environment.

Some people like shiny things with fancy names on them (my wife!:D), and theres nothing wrong with that. I'm happy with something inexpensive that just works

I'm pretty risk averse--including with respect to purchases--so, for scuba equipment purchases, I take seriously the opinions of experienced people who do the type of diving I intend to do, and then purchase accordingly, perhaps after waiting a bit in order to accumulate the $$.

When I decided to purchase a replacement for my very first scuba mask (U.S. Divers Wraparound, purchased new in 1987), the SP Frameless mask had been available here in the U.S. for about a year, and it was being heartily endorsed by many Great Lakes deep shipwreck divers and NE U.S. deep shipwreck divers. So, I made the purchase, and I have never looked back.

BTW, I'm wearing my primary SP Frameless in my avatar (taken about five years ago, I think).

rx7diver

I'm pretty risk averse--including with respect to purchases--so, for scuba equipment purchases, I take seriously the opinions of experienced people who do the type of diving I intend to do, and then purchase accordingly, perhaps after waiting a bit in order to accumulate the $$.

When I decided to purchase a replacement for my very first scuba mask (U.S. Divers Wraparound, purchased new in 1987), the SP Frameless mask had been available here in the U.S. for about a year, and it was being heartily endorsed by many Great Lakes deep shipwreck divers and NE U.S. deep shipwreck divers. So, I made the purchase, and I have never looked back.

BTW, I'm wearing my primary SP Frameless in my avatar (taken about five years ago, I think).

rx7diver
That's also a huge difference. You started diving in 1987.... I started in 2016 or 2017. Finding something that you like and are comfortable with is way more important than staying up with the latest trend. If I was in your shoes I would 100% stick with what works and has worked forever...

Btw... I think I was 3 years old in 87😳... you're a legend compared to me, to still be passionate about a hobby like that (serious).

That's also a huge difference. You started diving in 1987.... I started in 2016 or 2017. Finding something that you like and are comfortable with is way more important than staying up with the latest trend. If I was in your shoes I would 100% stick with what works and has worked forever...

Btw... I think I was 3 years old in 87😳... you're a legend compared to me, to still be passionate about a hobby like that (serious).
Well, I began my scuba training relatively late in life, in 1986, as a 31-year-old graduate student, in a very physically demanding course filled with of 18- to 22-year-old undergraduates. Many of the SB Regulars who are my age now have been diving much longer than I have been, and have much more significant experience than I have had. I get to learn from the real "legends" here. For free!

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom