Low vis buddy system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drewdude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We had quite the reality check today. Thankfully the depths were shallow and allowed for repeated surfacing to find each other, but.....how do you keep tabs on a buddy with vis less than 2 feet? We tried physical contact (hold on to bicep), but surge was such that grabbing rock was more stable than an arm. We'd start off ok, but.... 5-10 minutes into dive....surface to find buddy.

Honestly, when the viz is that bad, unless I am descending through a surface layer of algae, I call the dive. When it's a surface layer, we get in a tight formation for descent, and descend with our lights aimed at one another so we can be sure we're together. The deepest I've had to go to break out of the 1 to 2 foot viz is about 20 feet. Beyond that, I'm not sure we could keep a team together.

If viz is super low, the only option is constant physical contact or a tether. I've used a length of line thick and stiff enough not to tangle or knot easily, with loops at each end for us to hand hold.
I don't tie or clip the line to either diver in case of snagging.

Spot on with both replies. I thought of the tether line, but the bottom kelp growth and rock formations would have gotten in the way, and I had one hand already designated to a line attached to surface float. It was very frustrating, after our 6th attempt (I think), I called the dive. If nothing else, a great learning experience.

When towing a surface float and wanting a tether also, I put a brass ring on the float line and tie the tether to that. This allows me to run line through the ring as my depth changes, yet still only uses the one hand.

If it is an algae layer, make sure you have deep enough water to descend through the layer.

This is where good buoyancy control really pays off. If you have a person in the team who descends leaning back and finning, you're going to have a tough time keeping contact with them.

If viz is super low, the only option is constant physical contact or a tether. I've used a length of line thick and stiff enough not to tangle or knot easily, with loops at each end for us to hand hold.
I don't tie or clip the line to either diver in case of snagging.

I have also found this to be a good solution and always keep the "buddy line" in my dry suit pocket.

Another possibility is to either have both buddies hold the surface float handle (depending on it's design) or have one hold the handle, and the other keep their hand on the line. In this neighborhood, 2 feet of viz might be a good day, so you learn ways to compensate...

2 foot viz normal at some divespots here in Iowa, stay close and it helps to dive with guys I train with on the Dive Team takes practice,one leads the other follows and go slow works here.However if you are not comortable call the dive always the safest bet....

Honestly, when the viz is that bad, unless I am descending through a surface layer of algae, I call the dive. When it's a surface layer, we get in a tight formation for descent, and descend with our lights aimed at one another so we can be sure we're together. The deepest I've had to go to break out of the 1 to 2 foot viz is about 20 feet. Beyond that, I'm not sure we could keep a team together.

Spot on as usual!

The extremely bright flashlight/can light is a huge help for keeping buddies together and also refinding them when they get more than a few feet away in poor vis conditions. You can see the light long before you can see a person with all black gear.

If the conditions were that bad, I too would call the dive and have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom