Low/Limited Visibility Distinctive PADI course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upfront, for what separates it from Night diving. Is this something you teach?

🤣😂 Nope. Your insistence on finding this class is just a bit odd. What are you planning on doing after you did said class?

🤣😂 Nope. Your insistence on finding this class is just a bit odd. What are you planning on doing after you did said class?
I'm just looking for information. Do you know who teaches this course perhaps?

Upfront, for what separates it from Night diving. Is this something you teach?
Very, very different. Night diving is day diving at night, non-silting skills apply. (not being a wiseguy). Low visibility PSD diving is regular pattern searching on the bottom for the object(s) you are 'looking' for. More like 'feeling' than looking and silt is a natural outcome of the search.

The value I took from my PSD courses was to lose all the little demons that used to appear when I couldn't see squat underwater.

Very, very different. Night diving is day diving at night, non-silting skills apply. (not being a wiseguy). Low visibility PSD diving is regular pattern searching on the bottom for the object(s) you are 'looking' for. More like 'feeling' than looking and silt is a natural outcome of the search.

The value I took from my PSD courses was to lose all the little demons that used to appear when I couldn't see squat underwater.
Yes! While I am not unfamiliar with low visibility settings...you identify just what I am curious to know what are the skills focused for such a course. ('Night diving is day diving in dark'...I should have phrased it that way originally.)
I'm still following leads for the limited distinctive low vis PADI course!
Thank you @lowviz !

Do ERDI (SDI/TDI) do a low vis course?

Not as a stand alone. It seems elements of it are worked into ERD1 and another course...not a focused course. I called their headquarters the other week to ask about it from my own curiosity. Thanks @Wibble !

SDI has "night/limited visibility".

SDI's class is just your basic night-diving class.

SDI's class is just your basic night-diving class.
That's just minimum standards. Don't forget that SDI instructors can augment the performance requirements. That is a huge plus.

Not as a stand alone. It seems elements of it are worked into ERD1 and another course...not a focused course. I called their headquarters the other week to ask about it from my own curiosity. Thanks @Wibble !
Contact me for a syllabus I've been putting together. I'm not looking for students right now, as I'm focused on an underwater archaeology project in Greece right now, and I need time on my rebreather.

However, I'd be happy to provide you a syllabus that you can take to SDI instructors and say "teach me this."

This syllabus will be a combination of navigation and night/limited viz. When I resume teaching, I will only teach this course in the late April through early June timeframe, when the peak algae bloom occurs in the Puget Sound. Ratio will be 1:1 as the viz is so poor, having more than one student is risky (my opinion).

Back
Top Bottom