Low/Limited Visibility Distinctive PADI course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LLCcom

Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I am reaching out for a little help. I am interested in this limited visibility distinctive course that PADI has, but they do not have an open directory of 'who teaches what' (for proprietary reasons). I was told I should contact public safety dive instructors, to see where or who they know runs this course, since its certification is a prereq to public safety diving itself. After about a dozen cold calls to various public safety dive centers...my score in learning who teaches this distinctive is 0.

Does anyone know who teaches this? OR Does anyone have the actual student outline/workbook/pdf of the written information? I would appreciate either, maybe more the later than the first at this point.

I would like more clarity on how this course is different from the night specialty. I would assume there is more line signaling, like in ice diving, than light work (night diving), as well as other factors with poor water quality that is constant (rather than silt outs). I'm really just looking for information for understanding the premise behind this course, and I am not sure why the information seems hard to find (even from the certifying organization itself).

THANK YOU!

Hello,
I can’t help you directly in your search, but I would recommend posting in the New England forum, as well. I’m pretty sure there are a couple of public safety divers from our area on Scubaboard, so that may grab their attention quicker.
Good luck,

Erik

Limited visibility is a way of life in some locations and times of year. Your main qualifications for this is sorted core skills and being calm when you can't see anything. Silt outs are very important too; suddenly you see nothing because someone's kicked the heck out of the silt.

Seems to be more common in northern climes. No point in doing it in a warm location.

So essentially all my dives at a local pond.

Distinctive Specialties are not normal PADI courses. They are typically written by an individual, submitted to and then approved by PADI, and then taught by that same individual. A few such distinctive Specialties are more widely available, but most are not.
I am unaware of this as a prereq for the PADI Public Safety Diver Specialty. It is mentioned in the instructor manual only as one of the possible instructor ratings one must hold to become a PSD Instructor.
There is no good alternative to finding someone who can teach the Distinctive Specialty other than calliong around....and I'd only bother calling the PADI shops that offer PSD.

Or just come up to NE. Every dive is limited VIS.

Distinctive Specialties are not normal PADI courses. They are typically written by an individual, submitted to and then approved by PADI, and then taught by that same individual. A few such distinctive Specialties are more widely available, but most are not.
I am unaware of this as a prereq for the PADI Public Safety Diver Specialty. It is mentioned in the instructor manual only as one of the possible instructor ratings one must hold to become a PSD Instructor.
There is no good alternative to finding someone who can teach the Distinctive Specialty other than calliong around....and I'd only bother calling the PADI shops that offer PSD.
Yes, you recapped my post correctly. I am looking to cast a wider net with posting than just keep cold calling. Thank you. :)

Yes, you recapped my post correctly. I am looking to cast a wider net with posting than just keep cold calling. Thank you. :)
You may have missed my point.
Why do you think this course is a prereq to PSD?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom