low light, ambient...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chile7236

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
heading to san diego and too lazy to pack all of my camera gear....thinking about hitting the Yukon (not penetrating) and attempting some ambient/low light shooting (color and B&W) with my UWL28M52 on the RX100....I am thinking about ISO200-400, F5-6.3...tips/suggestions appreciated.

edit: or would I be better off doing some shore, critter diving and pack a strobe? I know my results will be better with this option but I really want to dive the Yukon.

The Yukon lies 100' depth, gonna be pretty dark there without strobes...
Any chance of bringing a small strobe like an S2000 or a stronger video light?

The Yukon lies 100' depth, gonna be pretty dark there without strobes...
Any chance of bringing a small strobe like an S2000 or a stronger video light?

based on what I have been getting so far, I may pack at least one strobe then...guess it won't be too much considering I am already packing my mask, bp/w and reg...plan to rent my wet suit, fins, gloves and boots.

Reality is for shooting large landscapes or wrecks most strobes are ineffective. The strobe will help with CFWA. The RX100 can be shot at ISO 400 no problem and up to 1600 without much noise in the photo. As long as you are not making wall size prints higher ISOs can be used. Especially with black & white you can get away with high ISO's.

You have the right lens for wrecks
Unless you want to do close focus wide angle you can shoot without strobes in program and set max ISO to 800
The camera will shoot wide aperture and 1/60 which is fine with that lens for a static subject like a wreck from the distance
See a few ambient light shots with a much smaller sensor canon s95 on my Flickr
Some are at 100'+ am sure the rx100 can do a fine job

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom