low IP on Zeagle reg, should I be concerned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I have a Zeagle ZX-50D reg, and last night I checked it with my new IP gauge that I just got, and it is showing the IP at 115... I THINK that the recommended is 135, with the recommended range being 130-145. Being that it shows 20 psi below the recommended 135, is this something that I should be concerned about? My reg is due for its annual service in about 2 months. Is this something that is not abnormal and I shouldn't worry about it, or is it something that should be taken care of immediately?

Thanks,
Jason

I'm hoping that our 2 Zeagle reps will respond, but here is what the service manual says. Test the IP with your tank between 2700-3500 psig; 130-145 is the operational IP range as you said; 135 is the optimal IP setting.

When I checked my IP on my FH VI, it was also very low (118), so I gave it a quick tune-up and adjusted it to exactly 135. After testing it with my 2nd stage, it worked perfectly, with no problems at all, so I just left it at 135. Before I do any serious diving with it, I'm going to compare my IP gauge to the one at my LDS to see what the accuracy is. The gauge is brand new, and the reg has only been used a few times.

I hope someone else will reply and let us both know why the IP was set so low, or if it sometimes falls due to some issue that needs to be resolved. BTW...I would not attempt to work on someone else's gear, but I don't mind the DIY technique for my own gear.

While the IP is low, it is not something to freak out about. If it is due is a couple months, I would just take it in now and avoid the spring rush.
What has likely happened is that since zeagle uses a conical seating mechanism, the seat may have been nudged in a little (very little) or compressed but the cone always hitting it. As mentioned not a big deal
If you are moreso inclined, the nice thing is that all you have to do is (while the reg is pressurized) take off the environmental cap (simple screw off) and allow the load transmitter to fall out. There will be an allen screw in there turn it until your ip gauge shows the desired reading.
I suppose the only downside to doing this is that you may inflict a trickle on your second stages, so taking it in for service is likely the best course of action. Especially if you are not so mechanically inclined.
Hope this helps

Since your gauge is new; I would compare it to at least one other to verify its accuracy.

tedj01:
Since your gauge is new; I would compare it to at least one other to verify its accuracy.

IP gauges are usually very inexpensive gauges. The accuracy can be expected to be in the range of +/- 5% of full scale. For a 200 psi gauge that is plus or minus 10 psi. Another way to look at it is if your IP is actually 130 psi your gauge could read anything from 120 to 140 psi and still be perfectly in calibration. The good news is that it really doesn't make that much difference as long as your second stage is adjusted to work with your first stage.

It's nice to hear that divers today actually have an IP gauge. It wasn't all that long ago that many shops did not have one.

Even though I support consumer knowledge, I'm also gun shy when I hear that divers trying to adjust their IP in the field, have taken their balance plug and HP valve out by mistake. (Wrong end of the horse.) Only those who know what they are doing should take regulators apart.

It's not uncommon to see a lower IP from a factory. It makes a regulator perform smoothly.

Our Flatheads are set to 150 psi, also not uncommon for high performance regulators.

Although out of the normal range, none of the discussed settings are a problem.

Chad

captndale:
IP gauges are usually very inexpensive gauges. The accuracy can be expected to be in the range of +/- 5% of full scale. For a 200 psi gauge that is plus or minus 10 psi. Another way to look at it is if your IP is actually 130 psi your gauge could read anything from 120 to 140 psi and still be perfectly in calibration. The good news is that it really doesn't make that much difference as long as your second stage is adjusted to work with your first stage.

I suggested comparing because I have once saw the occassion where a guy was building his own using gauges from the local big box store. It took him 5 to 6 gauges before he found one in your +/- 5% range (was actually approx. 5 psi); his outside range I think was close to 30 psi and others between 10 to 20 psi. He was comparing his to a IP gauge from Peter Built that had been comared to 3 other gauges. The Peter Built's high end error range was 3 psi (can not remember which way +/-) ; hardly scietific but best available.

tedj01:
I suggested comparing because I have once saw the occassion where a guy was building his own using gauges from the local big box store. It took him 5 to 6 gauges before he found one in your +/- 5% range (was actually approx. 5 psi); his outside range I think was close to 30 psi and others between 10 to 20 psi. He was comparing his to a IP gauge from Peter Built that had been comared to 3 other gauges. The Peter Built's high end error range was 3 psi (can not remember which way +/-) ; hardly scietific but best available.

Comparing one gauge of unknown accuracy to other gauges of unknown accuracy is of little value, no many how many such comparisons you make. The only way that you can check the accuracy of a gauge is by comparing it to a known standard. Remember, that verifying the accuracy of a gauge at one time, under one set of circumstances, does not assure the same accuracy at a later time or under other circumstances. A stopped clock will read the correct time twice a day.

captndale:
Comparing one gauge of unknown accuracy to other gauges of unknown accuracy is of little value, no many how many such comparisons you make. The only way that you can check the accuracy of a gauge is by comparing it to a known standard. Remember, that verifying the accuracy of a gauge at one time, under one set of circumstances, does not assure the same accuracy at a later time or under other circumstances. A stopped clock will read the correct time twice a day.
What are the chances of 4 stopped clocks having the close to the same time? As to comparing unknown gauges; given what was available it was used and came out with very similar results. I did state it was hardly scientific; but it was better than assuming a new gauge is within +/- 5% accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom