Low impact find for knee defect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopez116

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My brother is a certified diver, but he hasn't dived in years for a variety of reasons but mostly because it was painful for him to fin.

He was born with a malformation on his left knee - a venous hemangioma. Running is difficult for him as are any impact sports. He gets flare ups maybe once a month or so where it's painful to walk and he has to wear a brace for days.

I am personally not a fan of split fins bc I can't "feel" then moving water. But, I'm thinking these might be good for him. Does anyone have any input? Similar experiences?

Thanks!

I would recomened split fins. Like night and day compared to orginal fins I have xpert zoom fins. My brother bought regular fins he tired them and went wow what a difference. Takes the stress out of the legs and feet. Now you could also add a dive scooter and now you do allot less kicking and it's really nice on a wreck dive.

The only con to the fins is walking in them since they're angled it sucks on a boat or rocky shore since they can be a pain in the rear to deal with. The pro is it's super easy good thrust ect. The other option people like seem to be frog fins they're what everyone seems to like the only down side is they seem small. I haven't tried frog fins but that's an option as well.

I used solid fins then xpert fins bough a pair right after trying them. Sure you don't feel the water but man they go just take them off and try kicking you go holy smokes feels the same almost but I'm not moving at all. Diving went from this is work and it burns to this is fun and easy.

I used, and loved US Divers Blades fins, until my knees began to "complain". I was reluctant to switch to split fins-too floppy, etc. (so I thought). I found Scubapro Twin Jets Black, which were made from a stiffer material than the original grey ones. They made a world of difference in how my knees felt. Caution: this was approx 10 years ago, so the material in the black fins might have changed.

I have major arthritis in both feet. A friend suggested I try Apollo bio fins. I think they are the best fin around for me. Might want to try them.

I also have the Tusa's and a bad knee. I flutter kick almost entirely using my thigh muscles keeping my knees relatively straight.

Thanks guys!

I have a horrible knee from my days in the military. I found by far the best fin hands down is the scubapro seawing nova. On previous dives I would be hurting bad halfway through the dive, now with the seawings I do 2 sometimes 3 dives a day without a problem.

Frog kick!!! It's more efficient, even if your knees are great, and completely bypasses the movements that strain the knee when you flutter kick. Forget the split fins, forget flutter, get some avanti quattros or dive rites and do like the frogs do.

Has he tried to using only one fin. I would assume that there would be a lot less resistance on the bad knee while there other good leg is baring most of brunt of propulsion.. It might work for him. He just has to do his dive at his pace and I would think this could be a possible option, if he has not tried it yet.

On a second note whether he tries the one fin or not it might be also good to have support on the knee while he is exerting
forces on it. A possible pain reducer or support could be a form of compression sleeve see attached link.
Men's Recovery Compression Knee Sleeve

Frank G
ww.zgearinc.com

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom