Low Air Alert Similar to Structural Firefighting SCBAs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the best training scenarios I have ever seen was by Larry Macphee, He set up a simple maze, like training scenarios always have, then he would spin them to disorient them, and then block the exit they were suppose to find. The idea was to teach people to activate their pass device when they first get into trouble or cannot find their way out, not when they were out of air.

I have asked many questions about redundency and safety here and each and every time a wall was erected by those that believe only in looking at the gauge, they may be right, they may be wrong, but a very strong objection to these and other types of systems is always present on scubaboard. I do believe gas management is best, but it is uncomprehensible why so many actively disuade and even humilate those that that consider such options as pony bottles.

Redundancy and safety being the 2 words seen more than any others here on SB, I would think something like a vibralert would be welcomed, especially from the tec divers. Shaking the cobwebs of narcosis with a noisy interruption may be just what is needed to make a diver aware of their surroundings. I've drain many bottles into vibralert mode and always wished I could stop the chatter, once it did its job of making me aware of my low air situation. I've always felt my stress level was heightened listening to that damn vibralert, reminding me I'm still deep inside a building. A scuba alarm which incorporated a depth gauge, stopping the alarm as a diver ascends, reactivating upon descent, would keep stress down and make the safety stop more pleasurable in silence.

My old ScubaPro MARK VII still lets me know when I'm getting low on air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom