Lovund, Norway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_girl_tn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello there,

Does anyone have any information about diving on the island of Lovund in Norway? I am looking at diving there this coming summer.

Like most diving in Norway, don't expect much service. If you find a commercial op, the most you can reasonably expect is gear rental, a taxi ride to the site and a site briefing. You'll be expected to rig your gear, plan and conduct your dive without anyone looking after you. And it's dollars to donuts that you'll have to BYOB (bring your own buddy).

I don't know of any commercial ops at Lovund, but there's a non-commercial diving club there. Now clubs in Norway are a bit more than US meetups, they are not unlike BSAC branches (albeit with less emphasis on formalities). They usually have a boat, a clubhouse and a compressor, and they go diving together. A club may - but most probably won't - have gear for loan or rental. The members may - or may not - be willing to loan out a tank and some weights on an individual basis, but plan on bringing your own drysuit (yep, dry. I don't recommend diving our coastal waters wet), regs, fins, mask, BCD etc.

That said, the coast up there has some pretty fantastic diving if you can get tips from locals who know the area and the good sites. Try contacting the club at Lovund and ask them about what is and what isn't available.

Disclaimer: I don't know the specifics at Lovund; this is opinion based on general diving practice at the Norwegian coast. Make sure to double-check and verify (and/or falsify) any of my claims. Local conditions may differ...

EDIT: Here's a business that apparently arranges diving trips to Lovund. Again, don't expect any service except the taxi ride and the site briefing :)

Last edited:
Like most diving in Norway, don't expect much service. If you find a commercial op, the most you can reasonably expect is gear rental, a taxi ride to the site and a site briefing. You'll be expected to rig your gear, plan and conduct your dive without anyone looking after you. And it's dollars to donuts that you'll have to BYOB (bring your own buddy).

I don't know of any commercial ops at Lovund, but there's a non-commercial diving club there. Now clubs in Norway are a bit more than US meetups, they are not unlike BSAC branches (albeit with less emphasis on formalities). They usually have a boat, a clubhouse and a compressor, and they go diving together. A club may - but most probably won't - have gear for loan or rental. The members may - or may not - be willing to loan out a tank and some weights on an individual basis, but plan on bringing your own drysuit (yep, dry. I don't recommend diving our coastal waters wet), regs, fins, mask, BCD etc.

That said, the coast up there has some pretty fantastic diving if you can get tips from locals who know the area and the good sites. Try contacting the club at Lovund and ask them about what is and what isn't available.

Disclaimer: I don't know the specifics at Lovund; this is opinion based on general diving practice at the Norwegian coast. Make sure to double-check and verify (and/or falsify) any of my claims. Local conditions may differ...

EDIT: Here's a business that apparently arranges diving trips to Lovund. Again, don't expect any service except the taxi ride and the site briefing :)

Thank you for the write up! I am in fact more happy with no services, and no tourist groups, and I'm qualified going out solo even though it's always more fun with experienced fellow divers..... as well as will travel with ALL my gear as I always do. I will check with the local dive club - it was on my list to do as I found their website that hadn't been updated in a while.

Those clubs are often small and very vulnerable to losing one or two important persons. There's supposed to be a dive center in Mo, one of the towns in the region. You could try contacting them. http://www.modykk.no/

Those clubs are often small and very vulnerable to losing one or two important persons. There's supposed to be a dive center in Mo, one of the towns in the region. You could try contacting them. MoDykk

I sure do! I am doing come caves in Plura, near Mo so will check with the guys.

If you are planning to do some cavediving www.ngdf.no might be of help.
From friday week 31 to friday week 32 the official PluraWeek will be held.
Lots of divers gather for some good cave diving, bonfires, telling of stories, and generally a pretty decent effort in the art of "creative camping". You can also find the Norwegian Cavedivers Assosiacion at Norsk Grottedykkerforbund | Facebook

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom