Lovers Point Query

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwashbur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're considering a dive or two at one of the coves of Lovers Point within the next couple of weeks, and are wondering if there's anything special we should know about the place. We know about the marker and all that in the one cove, but what if any restrictions are there about the other two? Also, what major hazards do we need to watch for? Anything else we should know? We've heard this is a good area, but we want to do it right.

At high tide it is good to park at the northern end of Lovers down near the point and to enter off to the west or down the steps at the northern entrance on the east side of the cove. Not sure about regulations regarding divers using the northern entrance in the summer months on weekends. I have had a dive shop in Monterey tell me that the rules are not enforced. However, do not try these entries when the tide is low. I have once. It is difficult to maintain your footing on the rocks and eel grass so check the tide charts first. But there is some nice diving off these entries and they can save some swimming through kelp.

In true government fashion, that law is basically as clear as mud, at least on one point: does the restriction apply only to the cove with the marker in it, or to all three, or some other undefined combination of none of the above? Specifically, I'm wondering how all those restrictions and such apply to the other two coves, the ones on either side of the actual point?

And while I'm on the subject, assuming it's legal would anybody be interested in showing us around the place some time Monday afternoon?

Last edited:
...and by "showing us around" I meant going for a dive or two with us, just in case that wasn't clear.

A bit tangential to the original inquiry, but has anyone been prosecuted for infringement of the Pacific Grove regulations? I have known about them for some time. What is the practical implication? Is there some latitude given by Pacific Grove as long as things do not get out of hand? I am sure it is not a good idea to abuse things and no doubt at some times large groups or excessive numbers of divers have caused irritation to the local residents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom