Love my datamask!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just returned from a trip to Roatan and was able to use my Datamask on 18 dives there. I had tried it in the pool a couple times and the value of the mask was not so apparent there since I don't use much air in the pool and no-deco time is not an issue.
I did boat, shore, night and day dives on Roatan and wow, what a treasure the mask was. For some of my dives I was teaching a couple specialties and the mask made it so much easier to keep an eye on my student. Never had to look anywhere else to see my air, no deco time, etc. For night diving, the mask was visible but not distracting. It did lose connection to the transmitter a couple times - once when I was approaching a fairly large shipwreck - maybe that had something to do with the signal loss.. It regained connection relatively quickly though.
The only feature I would like to see on this mask is the ability to tune in to multiple transmitters like the Atom2 can. Since my student also had a hoseless computer, I was able to read his transmitter in buddy mode on my Atom2, but it sure would have been nice to do that on the datamask.. (Any chance of a firmware update to support this feature Doug??)
I would highly recommend this mask if you can afford it. For instructors, this is a tremendously valuable tool.

I just got one back in Nov. I have to say that I also like it. I've only used it in a pool so far, but with spring & summer right around the corner, I'll be getting it out into open water real soon. As a Dive Con, I see, as you say, where it can be handy to have the info right there & yet be able to watch what the students are doing also.

One complaint about the datamask that I forgot about was the difficulting in getting the download cable to stay connected. The connector is in an awkward place to connect to and the connect doesnt seem to stay connected very well - it disconnects very easily.
I doubt Oceanic will come out with any kind of retrofit for this issue, but I sure would suggest some kind of redesign. (The connector on the Atom2 is great -wish the datamask was so easy).

I mentioned the connection issue several times at DEMA and I just don't really see that it would be that difficult to make a retrofit (or at least show everyone that buys one the best way to hold your tongue as you attempt to download). I have found that after 3 or 4 times it gets much easier so keep working with it.

As for the mask, I absolutely love it. The benefits of just glancing down are tremendous. I didn't realize I would like it so much until I used one. It took about 5 seconds in the water until I was hooked.

I haven't had any real problems with down loading after, like was said above, I learned to hold my tongue the right way. The only issues I've had with it so far is 1. it's a tad too big for my face, as I'm a female (maybe hey need to offer a couple of sizes) so occasionally it leaks a little. I basically have to work it around little to stop the leaks. & 2. I do a lot of cold water quarry diving. I've had the mask 1 time in the quarries (in Dec.) & found that with thick gloves & the way the computer chamber comes around under the right eye, you can not get the thumb of your right hand into the area between the frame & the nose pocket. I'm right handed, so I tend to equalize with my right hand & in this case had to use my left hand, which was a little awkward. Other than that, I've been thrilled with my mask. The benefits far outweigh the issues, as far as I'm concerned.

Having been using a purge mask for the last four years, I had to do some re-adjusting of my habits (do a lot of exhaling through my nose - which works well due to sometimes poor seal over my moustache). It would be nice to have an option for a purge valve on the mask. Doesnt seem that there is much room in the nose pocket area for that though.

I thought I was the only instructor using a purge mask. It would be a nice option for the datamask but I don't look for that. I am more than happy to do without the purge and enjoy all the other benefits. But DOUG.....just maybe a purge option?????

Yep, I can make mask clearing look VERY easy when demonstrating with my purge mask. I still demo by looking up so by the time I look up the water is all out. Makes a good demo for clearing...
I can clear the datamask just fine but do miss the purge..

I just made 8 dives with my new datamask and also love it. I did have one issue, on the third dive my pressure showed 0000 several times, i still have my VT-Pro hooked up and also found out two others on the dive were using VT-Pro's and one of them had the same problem BUT I emailed Dave and he doesn't think that was the problem. It did not do it after that dive and also I was not diving with others wearing VT's. Oh I still have a little trouble downloading but I do get it done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom