Love:Hate relationship with Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would love to get a nav board like that, but RJE doesn't sell to civilians and when they sneak out into the wild they're stupid expensive.

Compass boards aren't hard to make. Most small boat compases are almost completely liquid-filled so they are sealed and are not significantly limited by external pressure. They are also reasonably corrosion resistant and pretty rugged.

A lot of plastic sheet material will work for the board -- Delrin, Polycarbonate, High-density Polyurethane, or Kydex for example. Common DIY tools can be used to cut the material to shape.

I made one with 1/4" clear Polycarbonate and some bent Aluminum tubing bolted to it. Bicycle grips slipped on the tubing. A friend made one because his arms were a little different lengths. He adjusted the handle positions so his outstretched arms centered the lubberline. Strap an old dive computer to it for time and depth.

For sure easy enough to make. There’s just something fun about having a real one.

I can make an O2 rebreather out of a motorcycle inner tube and some Tupperware, but a LAR-V would be much cooler.

Then there is the old PADI (I think) "Nav Finder". Anyone have one of those things? Anyone ever use it?

I have used a bunch of different compasses Suunto, Oceanic, Scubapro FS-2, and digital ones in an Atomic Cobalt, and Aqua Lung I770-R. Of the analog compasses I liked the FS-2 the best, all the others developed a bubble in them over time. The digital ones definitely worked better and much easier to use. I like the one in my I770-R the best. Easier to calibrate and use.

Then there is the old PADI (I think) "Nav Finder". Anyone have one of those things? Anyone ever use it?

I do for nostalgia. It's of limited use. It sits on a shelf along with The Wheel.

You have a good point, a lot of scuba gear (especially compasses, which seem to be kind of fragile) eventually breaks down.

To me, a compass is another piece of equipment I need to think about, but the more I use my wrist compass the more familiar and comfortable I get with it. Overall, I'm glad I bring my compass with me. If you have the cash, then I think it's worth it to keep your scuba gear stocked with what you want. But if you are on hard times, then maybe dont buy it as its often not "required" in most situations

Latest one is now not working and needs to be replaced. Has a water bubble in it. Does anyone have a wonderful compass that has been lasting the test of time?

Suunto SK8 Compass

I've been using the same gauge console... spg and compass... since I started diving 12 years ago. It was the console I bought with my first regulator. Been on over 1000 dives so far and no issues.

Suunto spg and Suunto SK8 compass.

I've been using the same gauge console... spg and compass... since I started diving 12 years ago. It was the console I bought with my first regulator. Been on over 1000 dives so far and no issues.

Suunto spg and Suunto SK8 compass.
Was the SK8 available 12 years ago? I got my SK7 about seven years ago, and I'm pretty certain the SK8 wasn't available here at that time

Most people who have a compass attached to their console are at a horrible disadvantage as it's next to impossible to truly center the compass along the lubber line.

First you have to understand the lubber line. "Lubber" is old, old English for "idiot". When compasses were first put on sailboats back in the 12th century, most everyone could navigate well with them... except for the idiots, er lubbers. They needed extra help and so the "lubber line" was created, which is an imaginary line that runs through the center of the vessel, which in our case is the diver.

The problem with the console is that the hose is almost always too short to really get it aligned with your center. It's almost always pointed a bit to the left. No wonder it doesn't work for the vast majority of divers. Better to get one that is detachable and be careful to center it on you, when you use it. Don't be a lubber: CENTER THAT LINE!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom