Louisiana Rig Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xefe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Any around here ? Im looking to hook up with some folks and do some rigs this season.

*i think i have correct forum .....

ahh the age old dilema ! ..... Transportation .... can ya get a price from him ?

Mark Peart, he is a member of the Helldivers.

mpeart@cox.net

Are you guys going out to the rigs just to spear fish?

The times I've been out there, there was no spearing going on. I would look for lobster, and have no trouble sharing the ride with conscientious spearos. I have enough problems without arming myself under water.:D

Keep in mind this should be for experienced open water divers. The trips are long, the currents unpredictable, and myriad dangers (overheads, entanglements, depths) may be a little overloading for new divers. Most boats are not "dive" boats, so re-entry might even be a challenge, especially in sporty seas.

I've seen surface currents going one way and currents below 15' going strongly the opposite way.

Beautiful water, though. And more fish than you can believe.

I've been pondering a trip out to dive the rigs for quite some time. I'd be interested in any general price ideas that may be available. Depending on cost and logistics, I and moonbasket would likely be interested. (I know several others who would *love* to dive the rigs, but they'll have to do quite a bit more diving before I'll consider them ready. I'm even planning a "refresher" trip for them before we go to *Bonaire*! :biggrin:)

As for spearfishing, I wouldn't mind sharing a trip with spearing, but I would not want to share the same bottom time. Diving just isn't much fun when I'm all wound up and unable to relax, which would certainly be the case. (It's not that I think I'll be speared or anything, but I know how my mind works. It's probably from too much DM-type work, but hey, it is what it is, eh? :D)

The times I've been out there, there was no spearing going on. I would look for lobster, and have no trouble sharing the ride with conscientious spearos. I have enough problems without arming myself under water.:D

Keep in mind this should be for experienced open water divers. The trips are long, the currents unpredictable, and myriad dangers (overheads, entanglements, depths) may be a little overloading for new divers. Most boats are not "dive" boats, so re-entry might even be a challenge, especially in sporty seas.

I've seen surface currents going one way and currents below 15' going strongly the opposite way.

Beautiful water, though. And more fish than you can believe.

I've been out to the rigs before. Usually when people are busy spearing fish, they are not paying much attention to being buddy divers. I just wanted to know what kind of diving was going to be going on. I am very familiar with rig diving.

The water is not necessarily always clear either. You can have very low vis. I have been there when you couldn't get through the murk layer as deep as you wanted to go, so you really have to be prepared for low visibility depending on the currents and wave action that day, making it even more difficult with a moderate (1 knot or higher) current.

Back
Top Bottom