Lots of little questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkSteffen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OK...so I just watched LeisurePro's video on regulators and it raised some issues I know nothing about. I totally thought I had a handle on the regulator stuff and now I'm not so sure. Can someone offer some guidance?

What is the difference between a Piston and a Diaphragm regulator and how will that difference affect ME?

What is the difference between a Balanced and UNbalanced regulator and how will that difference affect ME? (Note: I myself am a little unbalanced...perhaps my regulator should match?)

I dive in cold water and want an environmentally sealed 1st stage (Lake Michigan is dirty!). How do I tell (from the picture?) if it is sealed? Are most of them sealed or only when it specifically says environmentally sealed? I'm having trouble finding ones that so so on LP.com.

Titanium? Important or gimmick?

Until now I was thinking of buying the Mares Prestige 12 reg. I am a beginner diver and dive normally in Lake Michigan, which is very cold at depth; but I would also like to use the same reg when traveling to warmer climates. Is this a good reg for me? Is there a better one at a similar price point?

-Mark

...might I suggest 'lots of little SEARCHES' ? .....your 'questions', while legitimate, have already been both asked, and answered 'en masse' over many months/years by about a bazillion other divers here.....give it a try, you'll find enough subject matter here already to last a lifetime !

"OK...so I just watched LeisurePro's video on regulators and it raised some issues I know nothing about. I totally thought I had a handle on the regulator stuff and now I'm not so sure. Can someone offer some guidance?"

A search will help but here are my short answers:

"What is the difference between a Piston and a Diaphragm regulator and how will that difference affect ME?"

They are the 2 basic designs that all current scuba first stages use. Both have their advantages and disavantages. Both are well tested and proven designs. Diaphram first stages tend to be a little more complex (more parts) but have some advantages such as externally adjustable IP's and are better enviromentally sealed than basic piston designs. They both work well and the difference to you is pretty much zero- both deliver air to the second stage reliably.

What is the difference between a Balanced and UNbalanced regulator and how will that difference affect ME? (Note: I myself am a little unbalanced...perhaps my regulator should match?)

This is a little more complicated and seems to be one of the most misunderstood aspects of scuba regulators. First off, both first and second stages may or may not be balanced. All current diaphram first stages are balanced, modern piston first stages come in both balanced and unbalanced varities. Second stages also come in both balanced and unbalanced. It is fine to use them in any mix or match although it should be obvious that using both stages unbalanced will result in a non balanced reg. (When I use the term "reg" I mean the combination of a first and second stage as a unit) What may not be so obvious is a reg can be balanced by balancing either the first or second stage. Both stages can be balanced but it is redundant to balance what is already balanced. The goal of balancing is to keep the second stage breathing with a constant effort (or work of breathing- wob) over the entire range of tank pressures- more or less 300 to 3000 psi. It effects you by either (a) keeping the WOB constant over the dive in the case of a balance reg - reguardless of wheather the first, second or both stages are balanced as opposed to (b) an unbalanced reg which will allow the WOB to vary over the dive as tank pressure changes. This is not always a bad thing, the feedback gives the diver some warning that tank pressure is low. Plus unbalanced stages tend to be very simple designs making them less expensive and darn near indistructable, good things for the beginning diver. With well designed and maintained unbalanced regs, this is not nearly as bad as many would have you believe.

I dive in cold water and want an environmentally sealed 1st stage (Lake Michigan is dirty!). How do I tell (from the picture?) if it is sealed? Are most of them sealed or only when it specifically says environmentally sealed? I'm having trouble finding ones that so so on LP.com.

You can't tell for the most part unless you know exactly what to look for. Most first stages are not sealed but will offer enviro seal kits as an option although some first stages are enviro sealed by default. I personally don't see the need to seal a diaphram first stage.

Titanium? Important or gimmick?

An expensive gimmick.

Until now I was thinking of buying the Mares Prestige 12 reg. I am a beginner diver and dive normally in Lake Michigan, which is very cold at depth; but I would also like to use the same reg when traveling to warmer climates. Is this a good reg for me? Is there a better one at a similar price point?

I know nothing about that reg so I will pass on advise.
If you really want to learn about regs and be able to cut through the BS yourself, I suggest you read these 2 books
"Regulator Savvy" by Peter Wolfinger Scuba Tools and ""Scuba Regulator Maintance and Repair" by Vance Harlow Airspeed Press Homepage - Books For Serious Divers
Both do an excellent job of demistifying the internal working of scuba regs

Back
Top Bottom