"Lost" Travis Scuba Park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bogrady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ve just returned from a very pleasant two day dive at Dutch Springs in PA. I met the owner, Scott, as we were turning in our tanks on the second day. When he found out I was a soon to be "official" Swamper (Travis cleanup I hope) he asked me an interesting question.

Some time ago, he had read somewhere that there was a scuba park in Texas – he thought it was on Travis – that had a unique confined water practice area. He described it as a sort of “pool in the lake”. He said it was a man made confined area, actually in the lake, with a “flexible” or “movable” bottom that could be set to various depths depending on the lake level and training requirements.

Being quite new to this great sport, my view of the lake is strictly Windy Point and Mansfield. Does any one remember something like this? I told him I would ask around about it. Apparently, if it exists, he’s interested in putting something similar in Dutch Springs.

There used to be another park right around the corner from Windy Point. It was actually called "Scuba Park". I did my check out dives there back in '92. I don't remember seeing anything like you described...but then again...I was only there for the Open Water check out dives.

What I do remember about the place was very bad Vis...and sitting on a house boat feeding a VERY large catfish, hotdogs. They always fed the fish there....If I remember correctly, they sold dog food to throw in the water.....the water looked like it was boiling with all the fish......

Kenny

I did my classes all in an enclosed platform lowered from the center of a floating, covered dock. It was fenced in around the sides till you lowered it past about 15-20 ft down and then was open on sides, so if you kept it shallow, it was a 'pool' area, and then could lower it down and do real open water training on the platform and off. Don Brod of TSS(the building that is now DW II) ran it then, not sure if it is still around, or even if it is what you are talking about, but was kinda cool to do my 'pool' classes with fish swimmin' around :)

NadMat:
I did my classes all in an enclosed platform lowered from the center of a floating, covered dock. It was fenced in around the sides till you lowered it past about 15-20 ft down and then was open on sides, so if you kept it shallow, it was a 'pool' area, and then could lower it down and do real open water training on the platform and off. Don Brod of TSS(the building that is now DW II) ran it then, not sure if it is still around, or even if it is what you are talking about, but was kinda cool to do my 'pool' classes with fish swimmin' around :)

NadMat - I think this migtht be what he was looking for. Being a tramsplated NYer - could you decode some of the acronyms - ie what's "TSS" and where is the "DW II"

Sorry about the acro's, lazy typist syndrome. :wink:

TSS=Texas Scubadiving Schools- they had a North lamar location just south of 45th and the lake location on 620 just past 2222 toward dam, which is now DW II=Dive World II.
Plus he had the dock location on Cypress Creek arm, and a clubhouse out at Volente area on Sandy Creek arm as I recall. Brode was my instructor, and I did all my in-water training actually in Travis, both pool and OW dives, difference was that 'pool' dives were with platform at shallow depth so you were enclosed and in a well lighted covered area. But still were in 'natural' Vis and Temps.

From what I hear... the Scuba Park is no longer a viable dive spot because its not quite there anymore... Well, not fully that is. Its only reachable by boat now as there is no other way to really get there (Unless you like to surface swim like crazy). Some guys from Dive World 1 were going to rent a boat and cruise out there this past weekend.

NadMat:
Sorry about the acro's, lazy typist syndrome. :wink:

LTS - lazy typist syndrome

The park is still there with quite a few sunken boats (also a car & various other objects) but as others said - it is only accessible by boat now and you cannot go to shore (private property). I dont recall seeing anything like what was described in the 1st post though. One of the guys I went through DM training with actually mapped the site a couple years ago & didnt note anything like that on his map but the viz isnt great there so who knows what can be found. It is a fun change from Windy Point and Mansfield every now & then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom