Lost my "Viewing Thread"!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa:
Doh!! I saw it coming that's why I didn't tell you to ask support!!

Thanks Stephen, your on a roll the last couple days...please step away from the keyboard before somebody gets hurt :D

-Garrett

I'm an IDIOT! Why didn't you warn me not to ask? :D You know that I'm a bit... slow. I don't understand all this computer stuff!

I trust that since this is a privacy issue that no one else can monitor where I am... including Mods?

And speaking of privacy issues... I can't get my "invisible" mode to work. Even with the box checked I still show up as logged on at the bottom of the main page.

Stephen Ash:
I trust that since this is a privacy issue that no one else can monitor where I am... including Mods?
Mods can see this info.

However, Mods are also bound by these extra rules...

All members granted special privileges by the ScubaBoard staff (referred to as 'Moderators') within the ScubaBoard website including the ScubaBoard forums agree to abide by the following confidentiality rules:
  • Moderators agree to keep confidential any and all information of members of the InterMedia Publications Network at all times.
  • Moderators agree not to collect, store or in any way harvest information from members for any use, personal or commercial.
  • Moderators agree to keep all discussions within the moderator and other restricted forums confidential and will not discuss this information with anyone but an active Moderator or staff member of ScubaBoard.
  • Moderators agree to keep all information regarding the ScubaBoard business plan, corporate structure or other company internals confidential at all times unless such information is already public knowledge. This includes any information shared via Internet communications such as forums, ICQ, AOL, email, etc. or via phone, fax, postal letter or in person. Under this clause, Moderators agree to never discuss any portion of any communication between themselves and other moderators or staff members without written approval from all company directors.
  • In the event that a moderator's privileges are revoked, they agree to respect the rules as would any other member and to hold all confidential information acquired during their time as a moderator private until it becomes public knowledge. Moderators understand that breaking this confidentiality clause may result in legal action against them. By taking the role of a Moderator, the ScubaBoard member agrees specifically to the above clauses along with all other rules and regulations listed within the terms of service agreement.
Stephen Ash:
And speaking of privacy issues... I can't get my "invisible" mode to work. Even with the box checked I still show up as logged on at the bottom of the main page.
I'll have a look at it.

Well I appreciate the fact that mods have some extra rules. But the rules that you listed don't seem to be applicable to the question at hand. Maybe they are... I just don't know.

And... I don't see why Mods need to know what thread I'm looking at. May I ask why they need that ability? If it isn't mission critical, then I think you should suspend their ability to monitor where I am. Privacy is privacy. Mods are users just like everyone else.

Are the Mods looking at my PMs? Of course, not.

I know this isn't a big deal but give us all the ability to see what threads others are looking at... or give that ability to no one. Seems fair.

...just a thought...

Now I can't do it either.
Thanks, Steven. :shakehead :shakehead

Step away from the KEYBOARD...

just kidding...

Stephen Ash:
Mods are users just like everyone else.
If that were the case we wouldn't be able to do our job.

We got some extra tools to do our job and some extra rules to make sure we don't abuse those extra tools.

FWIW, I really liked that ability to see where my buddies where at what threads they were reading/posting saved alot of time in me searching around for something interesting. I figured if people didn't want me to see (I didn't know I was an exception) they would choose to be invisible (i.e opt-out). Kindof makes my Buddy List useless now. I guess I don't understand all issues in respects to Privacy after all this is a public internet forum, I have a reasonable expectation of privacy in regards to my registration info and things I explicitly say "don't show" such as e-mail address, beyond that not so much.

-Garrett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom