Lost my speargun.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba4jbm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was diving off Macaby By El toritos and was trying to set my achor line. There was a stong wind and I did not want the anchor to end up stuck in the rocks. This was at the end of my dive. The speargun got caught if the rocks I went back but couldn't find the gun.

The gun is a BGL Nothwestern sivler in color. Name is James and phone 916-847-2335. Thanks

I was diving off Macaby By El toritos and was trying to set my achor line. There was a stong wind and I did not want the anchor to end up stuck in the rocks. This was at the end of my dive. The speargun got caught if the rocks I went back but couldn't find the gun.

The gun is a BGL Nothwestern sivler in color. Name is James and phone 916-847-2335. Thanks

Not sure how far north-east of MacAbee you were fishing but if you were in less than 70 feet of water it was almost certainly illegal.

California Department of Fish & Game, Marine Life Protection Act Initiative, Central Coast Marine Protected Areas

Clinton

SpearBoard California Section has a lost and found thread. May try posting there also. Hope you had your name and phone number on the gun. I even have my name and phone number on my fins. I think it is OK to fish there. I have seen fishermen there before.

SpearBoard California Section has a lost and found thread. May try posting there also. Hope you had your name and phone number on the gun. I even have my name and phone number on my fins. I think it is OK to fish there. I have seen fishermen there before.

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except:

The recreational take of finfish by hook-and-line is allowed.
The commercial take of giant kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera) and bull kelp (Nereocystis spp.) is allowed by hand in the area defined by subsection 165(c)(4)(D) under the following conditions:
Any individual kelp harvester with a valid permit issued pursuant to Section 165 may take no more than 12 tons of kelp from the portion of Administrative Kelp Bed 220 within the Edward F. Ricketts State Marine Conservation Area in any calendar month.
Duplicate landing records must be kept on board the harvest vessel in accordance with the requirements of Section 165.

THis was only the 2nd time taking the boat out there. Ranger was at the boat parking checking licences an fish. He told me that it is illegal from breakwater to Lovers Point. He just gave me a warning which I will abhere to. He did not say anything about 70 feet minimum.

I have been shore diving for 9 years 4 to 12 Monterey trips a year spearfing and have heard all kinds of the is legal and illegal. Never saw a warden. I knew not to go to Breakwater because of the rookies.

I did not have my name and phone# on thee gun but will put it on the equipment tonight.

It would appear that the Marine Reserve has by this action taken care of its own.
I would think that anyone recovering the speargun and in possession of same within the Reserve Boundaries might well be in violation of California State Law.

I say let the gun stay on the bottom.

Curt

It would appear that the Marine Reserve has by this action taken care of its own.
I would think that anyone recovering the speargun and in possession of same within the Reserve Boundaries might well be in violation of California State Law.

I say let the gun stay on the bottom.

Curt
It's not in a reserve, it's in a state marine conservation area.

Possession of a speargun within an SMCA is not illegal. However,
because THIS SMCA only allows hook and line fishing, it's illegal
to "deploy in the water". I think the legal way to recover it
would be to recover the bands on one dive, and the gun on the
next, or vice versa. That way there would never be a functional
speargun in the water.

Note: Pt. Lobos State Reserve (not Pt. Lobos State Marine Reserve,
which is bigger) is different because it comes under State Parks
not DFG. NO fishing or hunting gear allowed in Pt. Lobos State
Reserve.

Last edited:

Back