Lost my camera on Paradise!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottom Line... Don't dive with a camera ya can't afford to lose. One can put all the stickers they want on it, take all the photos they want of their dive op and accommodations, stick contact info inside the housing and whatever else. One of 3 things is gonna happen. #1 It never gets found. #2 It gets found by someone diving and surfaces screaming "LOOK WHAT I FOUND" and the DM and captain take it away from them and attempt to find the owner (if that dive op is reputable instead of them keeping it and selling it themselves for some $). #3 It get's found by a shady diver or shady DM with a shady op who keeps quiet and surfaces like they had it when they they splashed and they just scored a great camera that is worth alot of $. That camera is sitting somehwere on the bottom and it's gonna be found in no time. I bet someone finds it before you leave the island but what happens when it is found is anyone's guess.

We dive with a TG3 that we bought brand new years ago. If we lose it, it will suck but it's not the end of the world. There's alot more you can lose diving than a camera.

You didn't mention insuring it. Great rates and easy experiences at Personal Articles Policy - State Farm®

Any clue what a deductible would be on an $1100 rig? (I’ll look when I get home, but if you already know ...). It’s not a humongous amount of money, but it would be nice if I could purchase a policy against loss.

Any clue what a deductible would be on an $1100 rig? (I’ll look when I get home, but if you already know ...). It’s not a humongous amount of money, but it would be nice if I could purchase a policy against loss.
Details vary with respective states and their insurance laws. From that linked page...
Replacement cost coverage

We'll pay the cost to repair or replace your personal property, without deduction for depreciation up to the applicable limit. The Personal Articles Policy insures against theft and accidental direct physical damage to covered property with some limitations and exclusions.

Deductible
Although available if desired, there generally is no deductible on a Personal Articles Policy.

I get my insurance from the provider from DAN. I list my goodies at what I consider replacement value, policy is based on this value. If I file a claim they pay what I listed for. Very easy.

I have recently started clearing my card after every few dives, so I’ve been erasing that information when I put it in. I guess I should just take a picture of my information every time I start a new set of pictures. Good advice, that I wish I had kept up with!
Why? You must use a really small card or take a bazillion pictures. I back them up but I would never erase a card. Cards are cheap.

Why? You must use a really small card or take a bazillion pictures. I back them up but I would never erase a card. Cards are cheap.

Well, part of it was that I accidentally downloaded the same pics twice onto the same device, so I found it convenient to only have current pics on the camera. I don’t remember where I heard this - or if it’s a completely fabricated memory - but it seems I watched a Backscatter video and they mentioned formatting before creating new settings? Maybe my brain turned that into ‘format after every download of pics’? Of course now I’m second guessing everything ... the meaning of life ... etc ...

At least I had already downloaded my pics before I lost the camera.

I just realized there’s a picture of another couple we were diving with on the camera. They’re underwater, posing for the camera. I’ll get their names and contact info and will post the pic (for whatever good it might do) when I get it. It could be that missing bit of info that will connect me to my camera.

Maybe you got that wrong but A very long time ago I attended a 2 day seminar put on by Olympus when digital was relatively new. The recommendation to format often or after every download "had' a real purpose back then but it far less important now. Memory cards were small but expensive & we needed every bit of their storage space. The formatting cleaned up the card which otherwise stored tiny bits of info about the folders you had downloaded & erased And over time those little bits of info built up. It's still a good idea to format from time to time but when I travel to an event or to Cozumel etc my photos get backed up every night and left on the card (which is big enough for more photos the next day or even more. The cards that do get used (and were backed up) go home with me in my camera bag or carry on while the devices used for the back ups is either in my luggage or somewhere other than with the memory cards.

Maybe you got that wrong but A very long time ago I attended a 2 day seminar put on by Olympus when digital was relatively new. The recommendation to format often or after every download "had' a real purpose back then but it far less important now. Memory cards were small but expensive & we needed every bit of their storage space. The formatting cleaned up the card which otherwise stored tiny bits of info about the folders you had downloaded & erased And over time those little bits of info built up. It's still a good idea to format from time to time but when I travel to an event or to Cozumel etc my photos get backed up every night and left on the card (which is big enough for more photos the next day or even more. The cards that do get used (and were backed up) go home with me in my camera bag or carry on while the devices used for the back ups is either in my luggage or somewhere other than with the memory cards.

Formatting in-camera preps the memory card for usage, by creating the necessary directories. Formatting again does the same thing and blanks out the list of files, however the image data is still there, and can actually be recovered.

Maybe I don't take a lot of pictures, but a 64 GB memory card with a 36 megapixel camera will last me 2 years of jpegs. And since cards aren't that expensive anymore, I never delete the cards, just buy new ones. I also backup nightly to a separate storage device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom