Lost GoPro on Playa Kalki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GTA_Diving_Wonder

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've joined an "elite" club... those that have lost a GoPro camera whilst on the dive. I didn't think I would be such an honorable member, but here I am! And sadly so, as it was in the last 30 minutes of 23+ hours of diving over 7 days in 20 dives on our trip there the week of February 9th . And as luck (and my bad foresight) has it, I didn't save off any of the video or images for the week. Yup, an entire's week of diving and adventures recorded... on a memory card lodged into a GoPro camera sitting on the bottom of the reef south of Playa Kalki beach.

In some vain attempt, I'm posting this in case someone stumbles upon it, in the mesh of coral sponges that interlace that area. A most perfect hiding place, I do not expect this go pro to be ever found, and I apologize if the metal and plastic handle and casing it is attached to pollutes the most beautiful reef there, this wasn't supposed to happen. However, if you do happen to be diving the area and hear of, or even find such an object yourself, I would be forever grateful to have it, or at the least, it's memory card returned to me. I will pay a suitable reward, and shipping costs to have it returned, give me an IM.

For those up to a challenge, I have some data that would help in such a Search and Recovery. As it was our last dive, we couldn't go out for a search dive as we needed to leave enough time for plane travel home. We did do snorkel / free dive attempts to make sure it wasn't lost in the shallows before the reef start at around 10 meters depth.

On the dive where the goPro was lost, we left the dock at Playa Kalki, headed to the Southwest, avoiding the All West dive boat which was in process of mooring on the ball at the time. Once on the reef, we maintained a 50-70 ft depth profile, hovering over 50-100 ft of reef during that 30 minute or so drift to the south. Some images to help:

Dive Profile:

87032122_2760829693964332_5195889389879689216_o.jpg

We mostly drifted for the 30 minutes, light kicking at most:
87060643_2760829710630997_8631434451504594944_n.jpg

At the least, this thread will serve as a reminder to .. secure your gear! lol... sigh.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom