Unknown Lost & found Playa del Carmen Cenote diver - Quintana Roo, Mexico

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The article says the incident happened at "Maicor cenote, located behind the bus terminal" but I believe the sinkhole is a few miles out of town near Xcaret Park. It sounds like he was solo diving...

Concerned that the air supply was running out, the swimmer’s companion alerted the authorities.

A diver almost departed to the underworld of the ancient Maya to meet ‘Ah Puch’, god and king of Xibalbá, after his momentary absence mobilized Municipal Police and Civil Protection in Playa del Carmen.

The incident occurred around 8:00 a.m. on Monday, June 10, when the diver’s companion noticed that he had spent too much time without coming to the surface after entering the Maicor cenote, located behind the bus terminal.

Concerned about the possibility that the diver’s air supply would run out, the companion alerted the authorities. Immediately, a search operation was organized that involved resources and specialized personnel, aware of the high risk associated with diving in unknown areas.

After an agonizing hour of waiting, the diver managed to surface independently. He explained to the authorities that he had accidentally entered an area of the cenote that he did not know, which caused him to become disoriented. Fortunately, he was able to find his way back before running out of air.

The Civil Protection team evaluated the diver on site. Although he did not suffer serious injuries, they recommended that he rest and avoid additional efforts.

The local authorities took the opportunity to remind all diving enthusiasts that they should always be cautious, know the areas where they dive well, and be prepared for any eventuality. In addition, they urged divers to stay within their limits and to always have the necessary equipment and knowledge to deal with unforeseen situations.

Hmmm

Google maps shows it 300m behind the bus terminal. I have never been to this location. I wonder if it is truly a 'cenote' or a true cave. Either way, the diver does not appear qualified to dive an overhead environment solo. Based on the story, it seems doubtful he ran a line.

Google maps shows it 300m behind the bus terminal.
Different bus station. I was thinking of the one near the ferry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom