Lost Diver on LC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MagnaRyder2

Reaction score
My non-diving friend just heard that a (female) friend of his wife was reported lost
off of LC. The only site info that they gave was "the wall". She was a resident of the
island. This was reported to have occurred on Thursday, Feb 23.
Have any of you locals heard of it?
Hopefully it is a rumor.

My wife tells me I'm calendar challenged. The date was Thursday, Feb 22.
I don't know what boat she was on. Her (new) husband was a photographer
assigned to the island. Don't know any more.

Rumour has it she was the LCBR's photo pro's wife who discovered he was having an affair with a DM so she went down the wall & just kept going.

Guys, we probably want to avoid rumors and find out more of the facts. There may be family of persons involved reading this.

Any news links, yet?

I was at Little Cayman Beach Resort on 2/22 on an afternoon dive when it came over the radio that a diver didn't return after 60 minutes. We were on Reef Fanta Seas; the unaccounted for diver was on Holiday Diver 2. Our boat was returning to LCBR; shortly after docking and unloading the divers, word got around the resort that a diver was missing and all available divers (qualified - not guests) were summoned
to help search the area (which was near the one of the north walls - but I'm not sure which spot -- we had just dived Coconut Walk).

After a time, it was announced that the night dive was cancelled. The next day, Paul, the shop manager, reported that a diver had gone missing, that everyone that worked there (Reef Divers) knew her (Heidi, wife of the photo pro), and that a search had been conducted the day before of the area, and more searching would continue that day (Friday, 2/23). Also, a plane was being used to help in the search and the land of the island had been searched.

There was no diving in that area on Friday and by Saturday the search was called off and diving operations returned to the wall.

This was my first dive vacation ever, so I must admit taking some relief in various reports that she had entered the water first and gone off by herself (when her stated intention had been to hang under the boat waiting for the DM). As to state of mind and other events in her life, I have no knowledge.

I also had no fear or concern whatsoever about Reef Divers; they were absolutely competent in every aspect of our dives: clearly explaining the dive site on small whiteboards, accounting for all on-board after each dive and allowing sufficient surface time between two-tank dives. they also had plenty of water and snacks for everyone. Also 2 DMs per boat, one stayed on boat; the other dived. for 2nd dives, they switched roles.

A weird and sad start to an otherwise great trip.

We were at the Brac Reef Resort this past week (2/24-3/3) and Jason, the dive shop manager for Reef Divers there, mentioned that a diver had been lost the previous week, solo diving off a wall on Little Cayman. Understandably, they were pretty insistent about buddy teams last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom