Lost diver found 15 Km/10 miles out - New Zealand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Maybe they never heard of PLBs? Or always leave a pilot on the surface? It's the not first kayaker rescue there this year.

'Lucky to be alive': Drifting diver rescued 15km out to sea
A "cold and shaken" diver has been rescued after drifting 15km out into the Pacific Ocean after he was swept by strong winds and big seas off the Gisborne coastline.

Police say three men, including a father and son, were diving north of Tatapouri, north of Gisborne yesterday morning around 9am.

The trio had tied their kayaks together and anchored them while diving.

But due to the blustery winds, the anchor started dragging and the trio started drifting offshore.

Police said one of the divers was able to get themselves back to land, helped by another person who was in the water, and raise the alarm that his diving mates were in trouble.

An extensive search was sparked by Police Search and Rescue, Coastguard and the Rescue Co-ordination Centre New Zealand.

They encountered atrocious conditions, with strong winds and large swells making it hard to search for the missing divers.

Police said one diver was located by helicopter 500 metres offshore.

The second diver was located 15km offshore by the Coastguard.

Both divers were plucked to safety and brought back to shore by the Coastguard vessel.

Neither men required medical treatment but were cold and shaken.

"This was a fantastic outcome for the family, they were lucky to have been found," said Sergeant Greg Lexmond.

"It is a good reminder however not to dive in bad conditions.

"We talk about driving to the conditions, you also need to dive to the conditions."

I always thought that people who require SAR services due to stupidity should be responsible for the cost of those services.

I always thought that people who require SAR services due to stupidity should be responsible for the cost of those services.
That's a somewhat popular idea but discouraged as it might make people hesitant about asking for help. I used to know a lady in Arizona who volunteered for SAR, and she said they were not even allowed to suggest PLBs. There is also an exception in that state: Stupid Motorist Law - Wikipedia

I've always thought about adding a sea anchor to my emergency kit if I'm going to be diving in an area where drifting away is a potential problem. In addition to my PLB.

Were the conditions bad before they went out or did the conditions deteriorate while the people were diving? The article didn't really say. I dunno about that part of NZ but in FL, storms can come in pretty quickly sometimes.

Seems pretty shocking they even found the diver 10 miles out. Sounds like an educated guess based on currents. Have to think you as the diver don't even want to look underwater to see what is swimming by. Please circle but don't touch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom