lost Coolpix 5700 in an Ikelite housing flood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got a Fantasea housing for my Coolpix 4300. The literature recommends a first dive with an empty housing. I read that and thought, "eh, sounds like a waste of a dive to do that." Your story has convinced me that it's an important first step. So THANK YOU for the real-life lesson!

Rick

Rick155:
I just got a Fantasea housing for my Coolpix 4300. The literature recommends a first dive with an empty housing. I read that and thought, "eh, sounds like a waste of a dive to do that."

Now that you mention it I dont recall reading about a first empty-housing dive in my instructions. As a matter of fact, the bolt that holds the camera goes through the housing. What am I supposed to attach it to if there's no camera?

Maybe some Ikelite expert can shed some light on this...

I've got all my gear flood insured through DEPP. After spending a small fortune on gear, the costs of the insurance is next to nothing. Ok, well not nothing, but well worth it for the peace of mind.

I think the PT-015 manual actually says to flood test it empty at depth before putting the camera in. Not sure about Ike, as I don't have one.

As for a waste of a dive? Well, if having confidence that the house will hold is a waste, then yes, it was a waste of time. I did mine on my first dive ever in salt water.

warren_l:
Well, if having confidence that the house will hold is a waste, then yes, it was a waste of time. I did mine on my first dive ever in salt water.

agreed, but what i'm saying is that I cant think of a way of diving with an empty housing if the bolt that secures the camera would also prevent it from flooding. At least there's no nut provided for that bolt to do the test dive.

Im aware that I was too (way too confident) in going for the dive with a brand new $740 camera inside. On the other hand I was so sure to follow every guideline in the instructions, and maybe too overconfident in trusting the new housing...

oh man... im about to cry again!!!

warren_l:
I think the PT-015 manual actually says to flood test it empty at depth before putting the camera in. Not sure about Ike, as I don't have one. As for a waste of a dive? Well, if having confidence that the house will hold is a waste, then yes, it was a waste of time. I did mine on my first dive ever in salt water.

I remember that dive 1... You and your empty housing with the soft weight in it... I also remember dive 2... the first dive with the cam.

Mine will be on Sunday... I'm so fired up.

K

vieque:
agreed, but what i'm saying is that I cant think of a way of diving with an empty housing if the bolt that secures the camera would also prevent it from flooding. At least there's no nut provided for that bolt to do the test dive.

I was thinking....You might want to take the housing to a hardware store and find a nut that might fit, and then do your test dive.

Aloha,
Lisa

Mo2vation:
I remember that dive 1... You and your empty housing with the soft weight in it... I also remember dive 2... the first dive with the cam.

Mine will be on Sunday... I'm so fired up.

K

Hah! I had forgotten about those pics. One of the first ones I've taken with the housing (obviously). Looks like you're giving me the evil eye as I was setting the shot.

Leakage rarely occurs because EVERY Ikelite housing has been water pressure tested before shipment.............

Did you see where the leak came in? I had about 100 dives so far with my camera in Ikelite housing with no problem. Generally it is relatively easy to inspect the seal on the Ikelite housing in comparison to other housings. Look through the back panel to see that the o-ring is pressed firmly between the back panel and the housing. There should also be a small crack which expose the O-ring between the back panel and the front piece of the housing and the little crack should be even all the way around the housing. I also check to make sure that the 0-ring is clean. Usually that's just about all I need to do for Ikelite housing.

Back
Top Bottom