Lost Camera at the end of Columbia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gopbroek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
:(

Yesterday a gentleman on the Skinny Shark lost a barrowed GoPro Hero 3 camera, mounted on a headband strap. It was lost on the tail-end on Columbia Reef / Wall (not the shallows) out over the sand, he thought he had clipped it off but missed the clip. If found the first couple videos show the Skinny Shark at the Caleta (Orange boat). If you found it or know of one being found please forward information to either Jennie or Pony at Tres Pelicanos or PM me.:D

Those headband straps just aren't great for underwater. I have caught a few GoPros headed for the deep...

Those headband straps just aren't great for underwater. I have caught a few GoPros headed for the deep...

Correct. As you go deeper your skull compresses and the band slips off. Always use duct tape with electrical tape backup. Make a criss-crossing wrapping of the tape around the top of your head and under your chin.

Correct. As you go deeper your skull compresses and the band slips off. Always use duct tape with electrical tape backup. Make a criss-crossing wrapping of the tape around the top of your head and under your chin.

Not to long ago I was in a group and watched as a fairly new (older) diver with no skills and no buoyancy control try to video his family of four with a GoPro on a headband. The camera wasn't pointed anywhere near where he was trying to shoot, his head was in constant bob, weave and swivel mode, especially when the DM pointed out a critter and he tried to stick his head close to the critter to get a shot of it. He was up and down constantly trying to catch up with his family to get a shot without ever looking at his gauges. In the swim-thru's he had his head in every crack and crevice holding everyone up behind him. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen... if it hadn't been so dangerous.

Not to long ago I was in a group and watched as a fairly new (older) diver with no skills and no buoyancy control try to video his family of four with a GoPro on a headband. The camera wasn't pointed anywhere near where he was trying to shoot, his head was in constant bob, weave and swivel mode, especially when the DM pointed out a critter and he tried to stick his head close to the critter to get a shot of it. He was up and down constantly trying to catch up with his family to get a shot without ever looking at his gauges. In the swim-thru's he had his head in every crack and crevice holding everyone up behind him. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen... if it hadn't been so dangerous.

Yeah, but no amount of duct tape will ever fix that.

gopbroek,thanks for listing this,i;m the guy that lost his friends gopro.at the end of the video after surfacing from the dive I shot some video of divers getting back on the skinny shark,then the last thing you should see is me turning it off.i want to offer a reward to the diver that finds it pm me. thanks

Staples work as well!

Staples work as well!

images

gopbroek,thanks for listing this,i;m the guy that lost his friends gopro.at the end of the video after surfacing from the dive I shot some video of divers getting back on the skinny shark,then the last thing you should see is me turning it off.i want to offer a reward to the diver that finds it pm me. thanks
I hope you get the camera back. Next time, you might take a photo of your contact info and leave it as the first shot on the card. My wife lost her camera and strobe on Colombia year before last, and someone found it and sent it to her because she did that.

Or just use a GoPole with a hand strap. Losing a Hero3 is a hard way to learn the lesson to not use the head strap. :(

Back
Top Bottom