Lost buddy prevention

From the scale of 1-5, how stupid and/or dangerous would this be?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What always used to happen when I first started diving (with buddies) who were also new divers, is it started out OK but inevitably one diver went one way to see something and the other diver went the other way to see something thinking that they were the only ones diverting for a second and the other buddy was watching them. Both divers get spread apart enough that the low visibility inhibits a visual on each other and you have a classic buddy separation. The other common problem with new divers is they dive following the leader and the leader hauls ass and takes off leaving the buddy(s) behind in the dust… sometimes literally. This also can create a stress situation for the buddy in back who then blows through a ton of air trying to sprint to keep up. I’ve literally had to grab a fin of a sprinting leader to get their attention and get them to slow down!
If you get separated the standard is to look around for a minute then surface and regroup. This can create another problem that sometimes the sprinting buddy just keeps going thinking that the other buddy is still behind them and a few minutes goes by. By that time they are way far away. Sometimes they get selfish and just don’t care, these are the buddies that need to be replaced.
A better method involves teamwork. One buddy is in charge of the dive and the second buddy is there primarily to make sure they stick together. The primary buddy still has a responsibility to keep an eye on the secondary buddy but it is the secondary buddies responsibility to keep an eye on the primary at all times. On the second dive you trade places.
If this is the plan then you have to stick to the plan. Divers that somehow forget the whole plan and split once underwater are unfit as dive buddies and should maybe look into solo diving.
I also recommend diving side by side instead of follow the leader.
If it’s loose buddy diving (same ocean same day) that’s fine, but it needs to be understood by both or all divers that this is the plan. That is actually solo diving at that point.
I agree with everything here. I will add that I prefer the side by side formation where the leader is just slightly ahead so there isn't much neck straining to look at the follower. I hate the "one behind the other" way for the reasons you say, but I think the leader must be a tiny bit ahead.
I would also add a variation on the role of each sometimes. On a two tank charter I would say to the buddy that I'd like to lead to check out the bottom around the wreck looking for shells for the first half of the say, 20 minute dive, then the buddy becomes leader and I follow him/her. Same procedure for dive #2, since it has always been at a different site-- so we both get what we want.

Ok….I will admit I didn’t read all 7 pages. IMHO keeping track of your buddy is called situational awareness. In military terms “ I have your 6”. You should be aware where your buddy is as they should be with you. If you need a cord attached you should not be diving together.
Buddy line is mandatory in my dive club. Actually most of the clubs here unless viz is good (20ft or more). Often viz is 3ft so it is easy to lose your buddy without line. Lights are used but penetration is low. I do not use buddy line with experienced divers w/good situation awareness. Diving with beginners is PIA if all you can do is watch your buddy. Try to dive with fresh divers at 3 ft viz and you will understand

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom