Lost Aggie Ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikey94ag

New
Reaction score
Hi. I am not a diver. However, I am graduate from Texas A&M and lost my Aggie ring about a year ago in Cedar Creek lake near Athens. It was lost in 4-5 feet of water about 10-15 feet off the bank (kind of in a little bay with not much current). This ring is very important to me and I would love to get it back. Does anyone know if there are divers who would be interested in looking for this ring? I would of course compensate them for their time/effort. If you have legitimate knowledge of someone who would be interested over the next couple of weeks or so please email me at mikey94ag@yahoo.com. Thank you so much.

Mike McIver

Mike,,,,thanks for your post...and I hope someone comes thru and may lend a hand,,,BUT looking for a ring in 4-5ft. of water is much like looking for a needle in a hay stack for the average sport diver. Most of our inland lakes in Tx. are silt bottoms and vis is very poor.....without a GPS location and an underwater metal detector you are left with the feel and sift method of searching for such a small object. You also did not go into any detail as to the topo of the lake and these water areas. Light current and wave action can displace and move such objects over days. Best of luck.

Howdy. I feel your pain. However, the chances are quite slim. As an example, my father-in-law's Rolex flew off while sailing in Chocolate Bayou near Galveston in about 4 feet of water. Two of us immediately jumped off to mark the spot, then 4 of us returned with scuba gear to search over the next 2 days. The second day we rented an underwater metal detector. Never found a thing. That watch had a whole lot more metal than your ring, and it was over a non-muddy bottom with very little intervening time.

I hate to say it, but it's probably time to contact the ring clerk.

Mark, '84

Howdy Mike...ditto on the previous post, chances are slim that you will find it...best chance will be an underwater metal dectector...but still slim chances. :(

C/O 93

Do you have a fairly good idea where it came off? Trying to search an entire swimming area is on thing, but if you felt it come off, and have a good landmark to go by........may not be too hard with a metal detector.

Sorry but I agree with everyone. It's hard enough to immediately find something of that size when lost in a silty bottom when you know exactly where it was lost. If it's been lost about a year I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Thanks for the replies.

Humanphibian:

I can narrow the search zone to about a 20' by 20' square (assuming it hasn't moved very much over the last year...its pretty heavy for a ring but it is just a ring) protected by a pier.

mikey94ag:
Thanks for the replies.

Humanphibian:

I can narrow the search zone to about a 20' by 20' square (assuming it hasn't moved very much over the last year...its pretty heavy for a ring but it is just a ring) protected by a pier.

HMMMM, I'm likin those odds. Deep sediment means that the chance that it moved are slim, even better with a pier. Probably a TON of crap down there but it would be fun looking. See if you can locate an U/W detector...I'll give it a try when I can get a weekend free. Hell, I've dove for far less meaningful items, and even found a few!

:crafty:

humanphibian:
HMMMM, I'm likin those odds. Deep sediment means that the chance that it moved are slim, even better with a pier. Probably a TON of crap down there but it would be fun looking. See if you can locate an U/W detector...I'll give it a try when I can get a weekend free. Hell, I've dove for far less meaningful items, and even found a few!

:crafty:

Let me know if you want another set of eyes. I might be up for it.

Back
Top Bottom