Loss of the drilling ship C.P. BAKER - blowout 46 years before DEEPWATER HORIZON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aue-mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone has heard of the DEEPWATER HORIZON disaster, but I suspect few are aware of the loss of the C.P. BAKER off Louisiana. The C.P. BAKER was one of the very first drilling ships for the oil and gas industry in the Gulf of Mexico. Following the success of the CUSS 1 (Conoco, Union Oil, Superior and Shell oil companies), the first offshore drilling ship, two surplus World War II era hulls were bonded together to create a catamaran, whereupon a deck and drilling rig were then constructed. Less than two years after being delivered to her new owners, however, the C.P. BAKER had a catastrophic blowout and explosion in 1964, which resulted in the loss of the vessel and the lives of 21 crew. The wreck of the C.P. BAKER now rests upside down in 190 feet of water in the Gulf of Mexico.

Have you dived it?

Is the wellhead in close proximity. Be interesting to see what they did with that.
I think it's just off the stern. When we dived it there was still a pretty healthy stream of bubbles escaping from underneath wreckage away from the hulls...

well, yeah...it's my video...LOL.
I did not watch the video.

Everyone has heard of the DEEPWATER HORIZON disaster, but I suspect few are aware of the loss of the C.P. BAKER off Louisiana. The C.P. BAKER was one of the very first drilling ships for the oil and gas industry in the Gulf of Mexico. Following the success of the CUSS 1 (Conoco, Union Oil, Superior and Shell oil companies), the first offshore drilling ship, two surplus World War II era hulls were bonded together to create a catamaran, whereupon a deck and drilling rig were then constructed. Less than two years after being delivered to her new owners, however, the C.P. BAKER had a catastrophic blowout and explosion in 1964, which resulted in the loss of the vessel and the lives of 21 crew. The wreck of the C.P. BAKER now rests upside down in 190 feet of water in the Gulf of Mexico.

Hello thank you for this video. My grandfather died on this rig. 31 years old.

That's pretty good vis for the bottom of the gulf, was that first shot of the diver on the mud or on the wreck? I don't think I've ever seen no nepheloid layer before! What's the profile off the bottom?

That's pretty good vis for the bottom of the gulf, was that first shot of the diver on the mud or on the wreck? I don't think I've ever seen no nepheloid layer before! What's the profile off the bottom?

That was on top of the wreck, which is inverted. Just below this is started to really get milky, and 10' off the bottom it was real bad. There is significant relief, over 40' off the bottom...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom