Losing my best canine friend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:hugs:

I'm glad someone posted the Rainbow Bridge. I was just about to do the same thing.

I am so sorry Tammy...I know the pain your experiencing. I had to put my dear Hershey (chocolate lab) to sleep Feb. 25, 2005. After giving me 10 wonderful years and spending almost every waking minute together, hunting, fishing and riding on the 4 wheeler or in the truck, one morning she slipped a disk in her back and I had to make that horrible decision. I think of her every day and miss her as much today as then. My thoughts are with you and Raven.

My condolences...I dread the day when my Charley (a Golden Retriever) crosses the bridge. :shakehead:

Out of the clear blue sky several weeks ago, my wife wondered out loud how far removed from wolves is the modern dog. As it turns out, the "genetic clock" estimates suggest certain breeds, particularly retrievers, were domesticated from wild wolves nearly 100,000 years ago. In other words, nearly as long as we have been around, so has the dog!

Thus, the dog is not a pet, not even a companion. The dog is a symbiotic species to us. It belongs at our side, and we at the dog's side. The dog has a place in our heart that no other animal can ever have. I love cats and horses and all that, but no bond is like between human and canine.

That is nature's way.

Thank you all for the very kind words & encouragement. Right now Raven is doing very well on the pain medications. She's romping & playing just like normal & her appetite is very good. As for doing chemo, there are a couple of things that have gone into my decision not to treat her with that. The first, is after a long consult with the veterinarian treating her it was decided that the cancer was too advanced for chemo to be very effective. There are signs both physically & in the blood work showing that it is already affecting her lungs, liver & digestive systems. I worked for this practice & this particular vet for almost 10yrs as a licensed Veterinary Technician. If anyone knows what my pets mean to me, it would be them. Through my past training, I know what processes are going on in her (both a blessing & a curse). The other reason I have opted not to treat her with chemo is because of logistics. Like I said, I was a Vet Tech for almost 10yrs, I know the regional vets & know none of them offer such advanced treatments. To have chemo done on Raven, I would have to travel 3-4hrs one way to the nearest Veterinary Teaching school. With my crazy swing shift work schedule, it would be difficult at best, if not impossible. I certainly did do a lot of thinking, praying & research into my options before reaching my decision (as hard as it was).
Right now, I am just going to cherish the time I am given with her & hope that when the time comes, the good Lord gives me the strength to keep her from suffering. Once again your very kind words are comforting & a strength to me. Thank you.

Wow, I am so sorry for the both of you. I wish you lots of strength. Think Iwill go hug my brat (lab) now :sad:

Tammy I am so sorry to hear of this. Nothing but the best wishes for you and Raven.

Tammy,
I sit with tears in my eyes because what you are going through is exactly what happened to me 4 years ago.

Sydnee came to me as a rescue dog about a year old. A beautiful full bred boxer. I got her not long after moving to a strange town and not knowing anyone. Everywhere I went she did too. She loved everyone and never met a stranger. She loved kids, she loved old ladies. It didn't matter.

If it make you feel better we did everything we could to rid her of her cancer. We did the long drives, we spent about $5,000 on vet bills, yet in the end we did it for us not her. That's probably the hardest thing I've come to realize. She lived about 9 months after the cancer showed up, and the the last 6 months were not beneficial to her.

May you enjoy Raven and the time you have with her. I know I'd take all the pain over again for the time I had with Syd.

Back
Top Bottom