Lose hearing after diving so long?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T.C.,

What is your information source for the statement above? Are you referring to a particular commercial diving outfit/deco table? The chamber descent rates can be pretty fast on a sur-D-O2, especially if the diver is slow to trip out of his/her gear, but to my knowledge the in-water and chamber ascent rates are about 30 feet per minute, which is right in line with the recommendations for recreational divers.

Best regards,
DDM
Anecdotal evidence from commercial divers like Superlyte27.

T.C.,

What is your information source for the statement above? Are you referring to a particular commercial diving outfit/deco table? The chamber descent rates can be pretty fast on a sur-D-O2, especially if the diver is slow to trip out of his/her gear, but to my knowledge the in-water and chamber ascent rates are about 30 feet per minute, which is right in line with the recommendations for recreational divers.

Best regards,
DDM
Maybe he's basing this off of the video I posted last week. The one about the North Sea rig divers. It was probably made in the 80s, maybe even earlier.

Me thinks that is not the case, though I can't claim numbers in the hundreds. What ascent rate did your tables specify?

Unfortunately, the table's weren't what was pulling me up. A guy, usually in his 20's, was pulling me up. But the tables specified 60fpm up until a few years ago. 60fpm was a pretty rare occurrence. Commercial Divers tend to go by the principle of "bend them and mend them".

Unfortunately, the table's weren't what was pulling me up. A guy, usually in his 20's, was pulling me up. But the tables specified 60fpm up until a few years ago. 60fpm was a pretty rare occurrence. Commercial Divers tend to go by the principle of "bend them and mend them".

I'm really dismayed to hear that, especially since it sounds like standard procedure for the company you are/were with. Before I went to nursing school I taught commercial diving for several years, and I've had former students hurt and killed in the field by poorly supervised tenders. The commercial companies I've worked for were pretty good, but I've also seen some that you couldn't pay me enough to put on a hat for. I'd like to think that the "bend them and mend them" mentality is an outlier in this day and age, if for no other reason than bending divers is bad for the safety record and burns up job time. Maybe this is a good topic for a thread in the commercial diving forum.

Getting back to the original question, did your hearing get damaged because of overzealous tenders?

Last edited:
I know 20 years working in the shipyard hurt my hearing more than 40+ years of rec diving for sure.

I know 20 years working in the shipyard hurt my hearing more than 40+ years of rec diving for sure.

What about all those up front seats at Mötorhead, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC & The Who concerts?

Cheers,

DocV

What about all those up front seats at Mötorhead, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC & The Who concerts?

Cheers,

DocV

If only I had been so lucky. I ain't no fortunate son. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom