Loose sleeves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dk2943

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been trying to buy a wetsuit. I know I wear a 2xl. I found a new IST Profile on ebay for a great price. Just tried it on. It is the easiest to put on that I have found, yet fits tightly around my legs and torso. However, I notice that the sleeves are a bit loose. Is this a problem? If it is, do I have to get rid of it or is there a way to fix it?

Thanks

I would pass on it or plan to alter it. The arms being small and stationaly limbs will be the first to cool and they'll take your hands with them. Close fit and good seals are what you need there.

Adding some meat to your profile might give us a clue what you intend to dive this gear in temperature wise.

Pete

I checked my profile and realized it was mostly empty, so I filling in as much as I could. I am a weather wuss. I hate cold weather. I shiver at 65. My diving will only be in the tropics. Since i live in Miami, I will probably do a lot of diving in Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and Key Largo.

Do I just go to my local LDS to see about altering it?

I looked at your profile. It says your into bicycling. If your a serious roadie, that would explain the fit problem. If thats the case, custom maybe the only way to go. Loose arms will be a bummer as it will allow fresh cool water to circulate.
As an aside, I put about three thousand miles on my road bikes every year. For me they are the front line in the battle of the bulge. Bicycling also keeps me in shape for diving.

Jim

trade ya arms, moving irrigation pipe for a decade has givin me popeye forarms that fit really tight in the arms

I went to my local LDS and showed them the fit. They told me not to spend the $$ on tailoring, but to simply use thick rubber bands or the like on the wrists.

fwiw - I have a 5mil suit with the same problem ... odd since I have fairly large arms ... I use a wrist mount compass on my left and wrist mount computer on my right - both with bungee cords. Cinched up they prevent any water flow out of the suit through the arms - I have to pull the bungee away from my arm and drain the water when I get out of the water. If you can stop the water flow it should be sufficient as you retain the insulating value of the suit and are not introducing new cold water into the suit.

Aloha, Tim

how thick is this suit?

I had a 1mm suit where the sleeves were too big. I used wide elastic and actually attached it to the wrist of the suit so it was ready there and not getting lost. Worked fine. Even for a 3MM this would probably work fine. That would be an easy thing for anyone that sews.

The suit is 2mm. Today, I went into Home Depot. Found velcro straps, about half inch thick and 10 inches long. They cinch around my wrist with no problem. If the weather clears before this weekend is over, I will try it out.

Back
Top Bottom